What's the best primary school in Taiwan?

What’s the best primary school in Taiwan? I’m talking about public local schools, not international or private ones.

What are the entry requirements to get in, does it matter how far you live from the school and are donations a thing?

Taiwan’s a big country.
Wanna narrow down your focus to any certain city?
For a public school, the general rule is your child should get into the one in the area where you are registered (hukou or otherwise).
Are you confronting certain problems in this regard?

2 Likes

As with pretty much every other place on earth, the good schools tend to be where the home costs are high and thus families are perceived to be invested in their children’s education. At minimum, property taxes are bringing in the money and good teachers are willing to stick around. But there are a heck of a lot of primary schools in this country.

5 Likes

And what is important for you?

Someine had asked which school provides the best school lunch.

1 Like

Exaggeration of the decade. :joy:

1 Like

Probably he or she is open to moving for their childrens education. This is common in many cultures, to move for the better hope for your kids future. Very commendable

In my opinion, large cities, not in the south, are the best levels of education. Not always the best lifestyles though. It is hard in this regard in taiwan in my opinion. Currently i assume Hualien city and Yilan are better as you can raise a kid outside of a city but still have schools without abuse and proper education.

Ultimately it comes down to he people raising the kid. I would say northern east coast is best in taiwan and the parents should be putting.full ime energy into rounding the kid so they dont.just absorb the schools focus, but learn to think, critically about it and life in general.

Sorry no school names to suggest as all i have seen are seriously flawed. I would judge the place i rise a kid on the community nd environment as the teachers are very easy to control in comparison and knowledge is best given at home anyways. Schools are great for social interactions and babysitting.

Is a lottery system and should reside in the same area where the school is ,

for example this school has the following requirements :

For Elementary public school is hard to tell , since everyone follows the nearby school ,

However there is a list of “popular” private primary schools in Taiwan ,
politicians , celebrities send their children to these schools ,but there is a debate about the quality of education is really good or not

Sources:

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/taiwan/family/schooling-education/school-system

3 Likes

I guess OP is asking more about public “明星” schools. I’m not sure if those schools are the best school for every kid, though.

2015 in Taipei

2 Likes

Yet, OP have not mentioned which city are they asking for…
Still there, @Cooling?

and another group of “best” schools may be experimental schools. They tend to be expensive, but there are many public and private, big and small ones.

Huxing may be one of the biggest private ones, and NTUE may be one of the biggest public ones.

1 Like

Let’s word that a bit more clearly: You don’t get what you pay for at most of the expensive private schools. You pay to keep your kids away from middle and lower-class kids, which in no way translates to better education, only classmates of families with “higher” “social standing”.

Actually, I’d recommend staying away from any school that costs more than NT15,000/month. When you start getting into the 40,000+/month zone, even if you can easily afford that, you’re in the social class of “I have money and don’t give a f*** what my child does”. That doesn’t mean parents don’t care about the child’s academics, but it generally means the kids are allowed to do whatever the heck they want at home (climb up bookshelves, kick people in the face, stomp feet and screech loudly) and this carries over to the school. To which the teachers can do little. Yeah, better off at a public primary school in Songshan or Xinyi if you’re in Taipei. Or any number of other places around the island.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. How much are public schools?

I’m in Xinzhuang, NT if it makes a difference

Tuition is about 2300NTD per semester. Lunch is ~50NTD/meal and ~100meals / semester. After school care till 16:00 when school is a half day (~80days / semester for 1st and 2nd graders) is 8000 ~12000NTD/semester (100~150NTD/day).they may stay school till 18:30 with extra fee. Your kids also need to get uniforms. They can take extra after school activities, such as sports, arts, etc by extra fees too.

3 Likes