What's the Biggest Lie People Still Believe?

I thought carbs = rice, noodles, bread, potatoes etc.

What are carbohydrates?

In a now infamous scene from her documentary “Homecoming,” a dejected BeyoncĂ© reports, “In order for me to meet my goals, I’m limiting myself to no bread, no carbs, no sugar
”

while eating an apple. Which contains carbs. If you’re going to remove something from your diet, you should probably know what it is first.

Carbohydrates are one of the three main building blocks, also known as [macronutrients], that make up all food. Protein and fat are the other two. These macronutrients are essential for the body to function.

Carbs can be further split into three groups:

• Sugars are simple short-chain compounds (monosaccharides and disaccharides) found in fruit like apples and the ubiquitously demonized white sugar. They taste sweet and tend to be highly palatable.
  • Starch is a longer chain of sugar compounds (polysaccharides). This type includes things such as bread, pasta, grains, and potatoes.
  • Dietary fiber is the odd one out. It’s also a polysaccharide, but the gut can’t digest it.

Remember, almost all foods that people call “carbohydrates” actually contain a combination of all three types of carbs along with protein and fat.

Apart from table sugar, it’s rare to find something that’s purely a carb. That’s just not how food tends to work.

1 Like

If you eat after 8pm, you will get fat

Ok I was referring to starch, which I think is what most people associate “carbs” with.

Yes, I used to believe that shit

1 Like

But those foods also contain protein and fats and other macronutrients. They arent “carbs”

fish justice

3 Likes

This is why I don’t like my parents.

They believe that shit, and forces it on me when they are around. Very much top down, and that I’m a bad person if I don’t do as they say, and my failures in life is because I don’t do as they say.

I have been eating before bed as a rule now, and trying for Low GI carbs like oatmeal and protein like Casein. You build muscle when you sleep so need protein at that time. Having carbs before bed give you sleep quality as you have energy for sleep.

Basically, a lot of folk knowledge is bullshit dogma.

The problem is the authority figure who believes lies.

You know better but are in no position to challenge them.

And the authority figure who believes the lie sees any attempt at informing him as a challenge to his authority, so he reacts accordingly.

1 Like

No, I’m thinking like a farmer. I’m arguing against religious or quasi-religious views (Jainism, Hinduism, Veganism) because, while they might be well-intentioned, they do not produce good results for either humans or animals.

Do you? Why? You seem to be introducing this as axiomatic simply because it makes your argument neat and tidy.

There are maybe 20 tonnes of bacterial and fungal life within a hectare of well-managed soil. Those humble creatures, in turn, support the existence of perennial plants (about another 20 tonnes) and bugs (funnily enough, about the same again, of which 10-20% are earthworms). Feeding on the bugs and plants are birds, reptiles, and what-have-you. Maybe 1 tonne. To create a working farm, you simply substitute desirable species, keeping the general food web intact. For example you plant things that goats or pigs or chickens can eat, you exploit the labour and manure that they produce, and of course you can sell their meat/eggs/milk. A hectare farmed in this manner produces about 2 tonnes/year of animal products, plus vegetables rotated behind the animals, ie., enough for 20-25 meat-eating humans. Ballpark figure of course: sunlight and rainfall must be adequate.

Take away the microbes - by ploughing, spraying, adding fertilizers etc - and you’re left with a desert, almost devoid of life except the plants that the farmer supports artificially.

So there’s your rough-guess kill count for the vegan buying factory-farmed produce: 40-odd tonnes per hectare of small animals that are barely even animals, plus another tonne or so of cute furry doe-eyed things. I suppose it’s not exactly a kill count because many of those animals are never given the chance to live, nevermind die. One hectare farmed in this way supports 10-15 vegans, plus or minus, and burns through natural capital to do so. Eventually, it becomes wasteland.

There’s also this sort of thing, which is done mostly to protect arable land:

I disagree. Vegans make the argument that being vegan, in and of itself, involves fewer animal deaths, and is more “environmentally friendly” (whatever that means) that meat-eating. No qualifications are ever added to that statement, despite the fact is that your kill count can vary wildly with little or no correlation with diet. It’s very hard to put a number on things. You can’t say “a vegan causes this many deaths and a carnivore causes that many”. What I’m arguing here is that veganism does not represent the minimum possible kill rate. Not even close.

A properly-managed mixed farm will kill far fewer animals than a “vegan” farm managed in orthodox ways. It will also produce more output, and it will produce it sustainably (that is, it will not consume more energy or resources than it exports).

Why are we suddenly talking about a family of 5?

Anyway, the average meat consumption in the UK (for the sake of argument) is 85kg/year. Half a pig (hanging weight) is about 40kg. A tenth of a cow is 20kg. The other 15kg would be a dozen chickens. You might want to haggle over the proportions of each.

What was the first question?

After the Big Reset, or whatever they’re calling it, I suspect this will be a thing. Along with the Diet of Bugs.

And how are you going to feed the buggers? A pig can live 10 years. A cow can live to 20. What are you going to do with a massive surplus of male animals wreaking havoc? We eat animals partly because, in a very primal sense, that’s our ecological purpose. Or one of them.

2 Likes

Can you qualify that 
? not sure what you mean

What statement?

the above. ‘matters’ ?

As in weight loss, doesnt matter what time you eat. People used to say dont eat at night as make you fat, but not true

1 Like

In my house, if Mrs. nowhiners has ‘closed the kitchen’, eating after that means no delicious meals for a while, so yeah - you’ll lose weight.

Also, our cicada-like rhythms .

Is this a lie or a reply to the above?

It’s a lie.

But parents and other authority figure believes it. If you inform them they see it as a challenge to their authority, not a means to inform them.

I say not a lie, that it matters. i don’t know how much, and I bet it’s different for people who are regularly up really late, but generally it matters. It makes sense to me - the cicada rhythms - but if you have evidence please share.

WTF are cicada rhythms? Are they forming bands now?

2 Likes