What's the dating life for 20 something guys, compared to Japan?

Thinking of moving to Taiwan to teach as well, but also considering Japan. Of course one aspect I am thinking about is dating/social life. What is the life like in taiwan? I heard some describe chinese girls as shy and only wait for serious relationships to have “fun”…where japan is complete opposite.

Any feedback would be helpful…I know Jpaan is a western guys paradise when it ciomes to this (especially if you have blonde hair) so how does taiwan compare??

Thanks!

Taiwan will be kind to you - especialy if you live in a larger city. If you’re in te sticks, it’s a little more difficult - but not much. If you’re not a complete loser, you will find women to date. Actually, even if you are a complete loser, you’ll still find women to date. Taiwan is weird that way.

I have heard Japan is better if you speak Japanese. Otherwise I don’t think there’s much in it.

[quote]If you’re not a complete loser, you will find women to date. Actually, even if you are a complete loser, you’ll still find women to date[/quote]So what does that make me ?

oh yeah… married :?

You’re actually making your decision between working in Taiwan and Japan based on how easily women will fall into bed with you?

The possibility of finding a partner, or partners is an important element for many and was certainly on my criteria list when choosing Taiwan. Nothing wrong with that.

I lived in japan for a year and I find that im much more active in that way here in taiwan than i was there. Even though my Japanese isn’t too bad, I found that I just couldnt communicate with Japanese girls. I could never be bothered to put in the effort to dig through that huge wall of face and politeness bullsh1t that they have. I’m gonna get roasted for this but I always had this strange feeling thaat i was dealing with something not quite…human!! I mean that It ws nigh on impossible to be myself with them and say what I think, saying what one thinks simply isnt done. OK, I’m finding it really difficult to express what i meant by the inhuman statement. But I will say that when i came here It was refreshing to feel that I was communicating with real people again.
I hope that someone can post here and help back me up on that comment, perhaps okami, i believe that he went to japan(?)
Anyway, my perceptions come from the perspective of a guy in a small city in the middle of hokkaido…that is to say Butfeck nowhere.

Come on Fred, don’t you know that’s the only reason foreign males come here? Don’t you read the newspapers? Talk to taxi drivers? Sheesh! :wink:

The question was about dating, not sex. There’s a big difference! Before I got married, I dated more than 50 Taiwanese girls, but I had sex with only a few of them.

The question was about dating, not sex. There’s a big difference! Before I got married, I dated more than 50 Taiwanese girls, but I had sex with only a few of them.[/quote]

That’s a shame. :wink:

I think he’s got his priorities just about right. But he also needs to consider the price of good beer and the availability of large condoms. :laughing: Which makes Indonesia just about perfect!

Look, chaps, shouldn’t we keep the advantages of this place close to our chests? I mean, if we tell everyone around the world the truth about the local xiaojies, the guys will be flocking here in droves, and the competition could get pretty stiff (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

So, Mr. Walrus, er… Taiwanese girls are exceedingly conservative, would never agree to meet with a man except in the presence of at least two elderly chaperones, and would summon their brothers to cut off your balls if you so much as looked like you might be thinking of getting fresh.

You’d be better off in Saudi Arabia.

Come on Fred, don’t you know that’s the only reason foreign males come here? Don’t you read the newspapers? Talk to taxi drivers? Sheesh! :wink:[/quote]
Huh?? I thought everyone was going because of the great barbershops.

Yes, I did ask about Dating and not sex…But I guess it’s just my perception of the differences in chinese and japanese. I picture a traditional chinese girl only dating seriously and a japanese girl being able to date casually. But from what I am hearing is that Taiwanese girls are more open and will date casually (don’t read sex, just not marriage/seriousness implied every second)…

So what kinds of Taiwanese girls are there? What’s the most common attitudes? Is it really so different from Taipei to smaller cities?

The big difference is not Taipei versus non-Taipei; the important thing is living at home with the parents versus living away from home. Many of the girls living in cities like Taipei, Kaohsiung, and Taichung are more willing to strike up relationships with foreigners not because they are “loose city girls” but simply because they are living away from home and thus have more freedom.

I can only comment on Taipei but there I found the girls very open and friendly. I made lots of friends who still e-mail me regularly and in one case a girl asked me for a date.

A Taiwanese girl I have known for a long time told me that a lot of Taiwanese girls like Western men. I have seen a discussion of this elsewhere (I am not sure where)

In comparision to Japanese girls (I have only known a few) I think Taipei girls are far less shy.

So in Taipei, no problem :slight_smile: