What's the meaning of your Chinese name?

My best friend gave me my Chinese name, and I recently had it tattoo’d onto the back of my left shoulder.

Pan (equivalent of my English surname)
Shao (welcoming heart)
Ni (cute girl)

The day she gave me this name, she also presented me with a stunning ivory stamp with both my English and Chinese names on it. She’s precious.

Pang (Has the Dragon under a lean-to) The one used for Bond, as in James Bond, close to my last name.
Ya, Asia
Luan, ???

Ya Luan (for Alan)

Pang Ya Luan

Sandie, we have the same Chinese middle name.

Brian

In the second week of studying Chinese, our Chinese teacher gave us Chinese names and came up with the very foreigner-sounding:

柯麗絲
, Ke Lisi

• family name - for the first syllable of my family name,
    麗絲
  • pretty silk - as transcript of Iris.
    I used it during my whole year in China, and it prooved to be very convenient to have a Chinese name. Then, I went to Shanghai, and it turned out one of my German colleague’s Chinese family name was

and the other German colleague’s Chinese first name was
    麗絲
    (we had all had the same Chinese teacher :?). So, it was decided that I needed a different Chinese name, especially if I was to set up the company here. Two Chinese colleagues spent a whole morning thinking up a name for me, changing one character, changing to another pronunciation and came up with:

何怡萱
He Yixuan

as a more common Chinese family name,

怡萱

• happy day lily - again for Iris (but I also like the thought that a day lily is sort of close to an Iris, too)

The name has proven to be quite a success, many Taiwanese I meet confirm that it is a very nice Chinese name. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that my Taiwanese downstairs neighbour had exactly the same name, down to the last stroke (she’s moved out by now).

Iris

I think
何怡萱
indeed is a beautiful and well chosen name.
Graphically speaking, I like it. because it has 3 squares, each in each character.
何[he2] has a 口[kou3]
怡[yi3] has a 口[kou3]
萱[xuan1] has a 口[kou3] but more of a 曰[yue1]

but three 口 [kou3] together, you got a 品 [pin2] for quality.
a high guality name indeed, Iris :slight_smile:

ax

anyone else?

My son’s Chinese name is:

王聖霖 (Wang Sheng-lin)
Wang = King
Sheng = Holy
Lin = Rain Forrest or Blessing from above

“A blessing from the Holy King (God)”

[quote=“Borutesu_Faibu”]My son’s Chinese name is:

Thanks, jack!

Wang is the last name, however, since we’re not from here, we only go for its meaning. He’s not gonna use the name after we leave here, anyway.

My girlfriend gave me my name: [size=150]

[quote=“Borutesu_Faibu”]Thanks, jack!

Wang is the last name, however, since we’re not from here, we only go for its meaning. He’s not gonna use the name after we leave here, anyway.[/quote]

well, your son could always keep it as a middle name if he’s keen on his chinese name. that’s what my name is like.

Christian name + Chinese name (middle) + Surname

as in,

Jack Mai Dong Burton.

yah bad pun I know. (and it’s supposed to read “Jack Mai Dong”) just to make sure, this really isn’t my name. :wink:

lol…jack who’s dong again?

ax

Wang Pi Jou
My name is Bill,
Chinese people always pronounce that ‘bi’er’ which makes me think of beer.
The chinese word for beer is ‘pi jou’
Wang is just a family name that translates as ‘king’

I am the beer king.

yeah…just not Beer Gates…

ax

Damn! Can’t paste the characters…Ax…give mine a whirl…I have chosen this for myself:

Goo Wu Wei

Goo as in Shan Goo or Mountain valley…my family name means valley.

Wu Wei from the Lao Tze saying, unprintable in Pinyin but translation is Do Nothing But Do…

So my Chinese name is The Valley of Do Nothing

[quote=“Toe Save”]Damn! Can’t paste the characters…Ax…give mine a whirl…I have chosen this for myself:

Goo Wu Wei

Goo as in Shan Goo or Mountain valley…my family name means valley.

Wu Wei from the Lao Tze saying, unprintable in Pinyin but translation is Do Nothing But Do…

So my Chinese name is The Valley of Do Nothing[/quote]

but here’s the whirl:

八 [ba1] eight, divide
人 [ren2] man, human
口 [kou3] mouth, opening

人 [ren2] man, human
灬 [huo3] fire

same as mine,
爪 [zhua3] paw
灬 [huo3] fire

I don’t know how to interpret that…but may be…
a valley of good for nothing:)

ax

lolx

koooo-wl…thx Ax… :sunglasses:

You too T-man…but wouldn’t my name have to include the entire LT saying? My name only invokes the “do nothing” aspect…locals interpret it as lazy until they understand that I understand the LT connection.

eight fires from his man-opening ?