What's the meaning of your Chinese name?

I love to muse on people’s name and relate it to their personality traits and attributes.

Let’s share on how you came up with your Chinese name or who helped you coin your Chinese name. What characters it’s made of. What does it means literally and wholly. Is it sound translation or is it meaning translation? How do you feel about your that name.

Let’s start with me.
My Chinese name is 謝可為 [xie4 ke3 wei2] given by my parents
Literal meaning: grace or gratitude / for / to do
Real meaning: grateful, know how to repay kindness

breakdown:

言 [yan2] = word, symbolize ability with language and word
身 [shen4]= body, symbolize good posture and health
寸 [cun4] = inch, symbolize attention to detail, painstaking

口 [kou3] = mouth, symbolize ability to speak, gift of gab
ㄎ [qiao3] = smart, eloquence

爪 [zhua3] = grasp, stability
灬 [huo3] = fire, power, survivability

I guess that’s about it

ax

ax

xiao meng nan :sunglasses: I had mine before Duce Bigelow too.

I don’t know how to write it or pronounce it, but my Chinese name means “disfunctional ignoramus”.

No Chinese input on my computer, but I believe my Chinese so-called “name” is apparently “Mung Ya Jian.” Mung as in Mencius, Ya as in Asia (chosen for me, I’m convinced, because its so fucking difficult to write it nicely – and I’m an ARTIST, dammit!) and Jian as in “healthy fucker” – like the Jian in Jian-kuo S. Rd. except with an extra man radical.

魏明智 wei4 ming2zhi4
lofty bright wisdom

禾 rice
女 woman
鬼 ghost

日 sun
月 moon
together they mean bright, but you could also interpret it as a perfect
balance of 隱 (yin) and 陽 (yang)

矢 arrow
口 mouth
日 sun

maybe ax can do some further interpretation…

[b]

Oh yes, I forgot to mention to you that A-B are looking for a marketing boss for Taiwan.

Ad was in the TT a few days ago.

[quote=“Alleycat”]Oh yes, I forgot to mention to you that A-B are looking for a marketing boss for Taiwan.

Ad was in the TT a few days ago.[/quote]

I hope nobody applies :smiling_imp:

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“Alleycat”]Oh yes, I forgot to mention to you that A-B are looking for a marketing boss for Taiwan.

I hope nobody applies :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Why? So you can get the job? :smiling_imp:

You’re a ghostly chinese female who eat rice and shoot the sun and moon with one arrow from her mouth :slight_smile:

ax

[quote=“Alleycat”][quote=“tigerman”][quote=“Alleycat”]Oh yes, I forgot to mention to you that A-B are looking for a marketing boss for Taiwan.

I hope nobody applies :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Why? So you can get the job? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

You’re a devious one… an inside job, eh? :smiling_imp:

my name is long duk dong… which means…duck!

My name is Beatuiful Dragon, Dragon Beatiful actually. I took “long” from “Chan Long” or Jackie Chan when I came here because my name last name translated to Chinese along with my Chinese name didn’t sound very good. So I liked him and I got a new last name. My name “Mae Lee” was given me by a student from Taiwan whom I taught before moving here. It’d be so cool if ax broke this donw for me into all it’s neato parts! :wink:

dear domesticated cat,

trust me on this.
First, you don’t wanna breakdown beauty

[quote=“ax”]First, you don’t wanna breakdown beauty

lolx

[quote=“matthewh”][quote=“ax”]First, you don’t wanna breakdown beauty

I’m half Chinese and was given a Chinese name when I was born. In English it is Kin-Ming … in Chinese it is pronounced “Jing-Ming”. Supposedly it means “Brilliant & Swift”.

My Chinese name, given to me by a friend soon after I arrived is

My name, trust me, means “Martial Grandeur”.

Wu wei - wushu de wu, weida de wei (sorry, no Chinese input either). Given to me by my first Chinese teacher. Phonectically close to my first name.

Chinese who read my name before seeing me told me, they imagined me stronger (I am very slim).

And then I also go by the classic “laowai” of cause. :slight_smile: