What's the NHI Certificate of Major Illness for?

I have a friend who was certified by NHI as having a major illness, and I’m just curious what it does. Does it have an effect on cost/treatment? Are there any downsides or any influence on visa renewal, etc.? This is for a rare disease, but not one that is communicable.

You get a big discount on registration fees at the hospital. I believe it’s $150 vs up to $600 typically

Would that be the registration fee plus other stuff? I think the registration fee itself is usually on the order of NT$100-200 anyway, then the consultation fee, pharmacy fee, copayment, etc. are billed separately. For TMUH, the total for a routine appointment for me has been NT$440 or so.

This link says the registration fee is NT$100 for NTUH:

Sounds right, the $150 includes the medication. $100 for registration with that disability flag. Some hospitals now charge $600 for registration, it’s ridiculous.

I guess they are trying to stop old people from frivolous visits but the hospital is still full

1 Like

Which hospitals do that? For regular outpatient appointments? That sounds unusually high! I thought the prices were regulated somehow.

The Taichung Chung Shan hospital was $600. As I remember, Taipei veterans hospital in Beitou was $600 too.
Edit. But if you go down the street to Guandu hospital it was $150

2 Likes

That’s right. I believe there’s a 5-year maximum duration for it in general.

1 Like