What's the tax rate for being a contractor/self employed?

Hi there - I can’t seem to find any info about this online. What’s the tax rate for being a contractor/self employed in Taiwan? Is it higher or lower than the progressive income tax rate?

Anyone who’s worked as a contractor who can share their experience? I’m trying to decide between being employed as a contractor vs. by a Taiwanese employer.

Do you have an APRC/open work permit?

I have Taiwanese citizenship (and also USA)

I think you would just be the same tax rates depending on the income you make. But are you only looking to work at one place?

What are you trying to do?

1 Like

No, I’m just working at one place.

I’m at the offer stage with a remote company, and they’re offering me the option of either being a contractor or a full time employee (under a Taiwanese employer of record). The contractor offer is higher, but the US self employment tax pretty much takes away most of that bonus. So I’m trying to see for the remaining amount, if I would be taxed more or less by Taiwan as a contractor or employee.

Are you in Taiwan?

Yup I’m in Taiwan! will plan to be here for the majority of the year

I would probably call a tax consultant then as you shouldn’t be double taxed.

Even if you ‘contract’ your work with this company.

okay, thanks for responding btw!

1 Like

Employees follow standard rates. If you are contracted you will have your own business. And your tax rates depend on business type and for most limited companies which industry is your main registratered item they will base your tax rate on (usually around 2% on everything for most Ltd companies).