What's the Weirdest Thing That Ever Happened to You in Taiwan?

I saw one of those in the street once and was warned away from it by my then-gf, who explained what it was. Very sad, when you think about it.

plus, a completely hassle-free married life.

2 Likes

Yes, but what are you gonna do?

not think about it.

1 Like

It was a set-up by your wife, to show you the dangers of Taiwan if you’d leave her.:wink:

2 Likes

I wonder if you can pay the fee with ghost money. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

A lot weirder stuff happened to me when I was working in Korea (because I was younger, unmarried, no kid, and going out and partying a lot more). Now I’m domesticated, so I haven’t had too many weird experiences. Just run into a few oddballs. The weirdest is an infamous one called “the picture girl.” She’s notorious enough that a couple western colleagues knew who I was talking about when I described her. She’s like in her late teens or early 20s and rides all around Kaohsiung on an old bike. Whenever she sees a foreigner, she stops, and maybe asks a few questions. Then she frames you with her fingers like she’s taking a picture of you. Like this:
She makes sounds like the clicking of an old-school camera… “chik chik whirrr chik chik whirr” and if you start walking away she keeps trying to get you in her frame. Then when she’s done she starts laughing and says stuff like “now you’re mine forever.” The one time I encountered her, I hid in a Starbucks to escape as she followed me at least 3 blocks on her bike, circling around me and doing that weird finger camera thing. And she’s done this to at least one of my western friends too!

8 Likes

It’s funny how such people seem to seek out foreigners. I ran into a woman the other day, who jumped out of the subway to talk to us. It seemed pretty normal until she started singing

1 Like

But is she hot?

1 Like

I could contribute profusely to this thread , but I am a gentleman :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Not nearly as exciting as some of the bizarre shit that’s happened to you guys, but a couple of teenage girls walked up to me at Danshui MRT station asking if I could take a picture. I assumed they meant to take a picture of them, so I made as if to take the camera, but the girl says, no no, we want a picture with you. I’m like … “uhh, you want a picture with a random foreigner?”. And apparently yes, that’s what they wanted. A bit like taking your picture with the pandas at the zoo, I suppose. I’m guessing this has happened to literally every foreigner in Taiwan at some point.

3 Likes

Aeons ago, early to mid 2000s.

She was okay looking, but nothing out of the ordinary. Except her behavior, of course.

Just think how different and more exciting your life would’ve been if you had taken this rare butterfly in. At best, you’d have a lifetime restraining order and a constant need to change your name on social media every month, and at worst you’d be buried in seven duffel bags scattered around Taroko National Park. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s like flies on shit. We attract the crazies man.

1 Like

Imagine if we had done the deed and procreated. :hushed:

1 Like

lol yeah, that’s happened to me a few times. Less as I get older though. I have to admit, it’s a little flattering when it does.

Once a guy came right up to us in front of our twin seat on the MRT and started staring. I said a couple of things and then got loud. Then by the look on his face, I realized he was a couple of batteries short. Felt like a bit of a dick :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like it when people replying to different posts appear in consecutive order, and it seems like they are replying to the last post… ya, it’s funny sometimes.

1 Like

That’s the problem with crazies. It’s not really their fault, so it’s hard to know how to react. I’ve had a few nutters (male, mostly) want to talk to me on the MRT. Harmless enough, but several sandwiches short of a picnic every time. I can’t bring myself to tell them to bugger off and leave me alone.

1 Like