What's to see and do in Ilan and area?

What is there to do and see in Ilan, over a weekend?

A previous post asking much the same got just two responses, suggesting only a bike ride, scooter ride or going to a park. Surely there is something more to see in this city and area - scenic countryside and maybe half decent coastline/beaches in the vicinity, no?

I see the International Children’s Festival is on until August 11, but that appeals little, other than music from lands afar.

How about the Paoma trail at Jiaosi, just outside the town on the way to the waterfalls? I only got to see the map board at the trail head, has anyone done this trail? It is part of the first road from Danshui to Ilan apparently, from the pre auto era. Another part of this road is now the Tsaoling Historic Trail just outside Fulong, and is a great walk. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

The waterfalls behind Jiaoxi. Hot springs are good too, if you have a bottle of bubbly water and a willing lass handy.

Also, you could try www.binhai.com.tw which is a nice kind-of-a-resort hotel. Overnight stays there are good, and the pools are OK.

This website is pretty good.

enwww.e-land.gov.tw/default.asp? … d=2&page=2

Also, Taipei Day Trips II mentions a hike or two in Ilan as well as a place for natural hot springs. In the thread on camping someone links to a really spiffy looking campsite in Ilan called Nanao. Just up river from the campsite are more natural hot springs.
nanao-farm.e-land.gov.tw/index.asp

Oh, and there are the natural cold springs in Suao.

See this thread on a great mountain route from Taipei to Daxi beach in Ilan.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … c&&start=0