What's up with exchange rates?

Not the US dollar, that’s for sure.
Nor the NT dollar.
But the CDN dollar (and all that student loan debt) is taking flight.

I realize the benefits that come with a low, or high currency exchange rate, but if the US economy is booming along nicely, why is it falling so quickly?
(I don’t buy the argument that Canada’s economy is that much stronger now than it was five or ten years ago.)

I also agree that the Canadian market is not up to snuff. Forget the U.S. market for now. You had better be a genie if you are still investing in the Nasdaq or Dow. There are some good buys out there in both markets but keep in mind that there are thousands of experts trying to take your money. For me, I’ll hunker down for a bit. I still have a few picks but picks that I have been with (bought and sold) for several years. Don’t believe those that extoll the virtues of gold and silver. It will bite you in the ass. Look at minerals closely and don’t believe evrything you read>
If I were determined to invest right now, I certainly would avoid the Asian market unless I could research the company in the language provided. Even then, I recognise that the SEC laws in Asian countries are not the same as in the U.S. You can lose your ass. Of course, the U.S. system isn’t perfect either and I point to ENRON as the prime example. (That hurt). Now, as for the Asian market. Why in the hell would anybody invest in a company in which you have no idea what is happenning intra-comapany or with the politics of the area?

I suggest that you find a product that you REALLY like. Then look at who makes the components and the inventory of that company. Now, start your research. For example, GEM vehicles has been in the news lately. An inexpensive electric car that sets the benchmark around the world. Sounds damn good. But look more closely. GEM is a subsidiary of Daimler-Crysler. So follow what Chrysler is doing and you will find some insecurity in Chrysler. Daimler may not be owned by Chrysler much longer. Therefore - - - be careful. Will you invest in Daimler-Chrysler, or wait and see what shakes out? I’ll wait. My guess is the Chysler will divest the Daimler assets (Ford?) and at that point, I might take a closer look.
Back to the point asked. The Asian Market. My bottom line point is that I have enough trouble following the market in which I am somewhat familiar and the underlying laws involved. Why would I, or you, want to make a flip of the coin in the Asian market unless you REALLY know what you are doing? I know you are curious, but maybe it is better to be curious with someone else’s money. Trust me on this. There are many vultures out there that want to be curious with YOUR money. Be careful in turmoil.

But Daimler sold Chrysler to a fund a good month ago?

If GEM remains with the Daimler side, I would still rate that as a buy, as Daimler is a profitable German company with merely a second listing in the US.

On a more prosaic note:

Check it out.

Did you read the last line of the article you quoted? You know, the loonie being a petro currency and stuff.

Besides exports, another downside to a high loonie is that it adversely affects the high tech industry in Canada both in terms of foreign investments into the industry as well as the employment of high tech workers.

Eur seems to be the best investment for now.

Canadian Dollar Trades Equal to U.S. for First Time Since 1976

Oh crap! The Canadian dollar hit a $1.06 US today. The last time the Canadian dollar was worth this much against the US dollar was when the Confederate Army was marching towards Washington.

Is the exchange rate reasonable now?
The GBP falls back to $1.96US last week.
But The EUR and RMB are still strong.

Any Canucks looking to send money home, now’s a good time. The loonie’s in a nose dive.

Maybe I ought to thank Harper. My student loans keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

The jump in the price of oil helped the CAD against the usd. I wonder what’s going to happen with the price of oil plummeting.

It’ll plummet.
The tar sands are in trouble with prices under $40/barrel, and the price is down to something like $44. Factor in recession (directly, as well as decreasing demand for oil), political chaos…
It’s a good time to be earning NT and paying off CDN.

Did not want to make a new thread. As people have noticed the US$ has surged recently.

Australia stock market and dollar have crashed. I always like to buy the Aussie Dollar when it crashes. Last year in September October A$ crashed I bought a lot then a month later it has improved I made a near 10% gain in a month. I do this by moving funds in my multicurrency account without wiring the money overseas.

Just today I am going to do a trade so I decided lets check and see what my Australian bank would offer me for US$140k compared to HSBC HK. Pays to check. HSBC offers very good exchange rates. The difference is Australian banks offer a lower exchange rate. A more than AUD$4k difference…

2 Likes

How did you do?

Made more than half your monthly salary in 24 hours twiddling my thumbs… good thing for anyone with a multi currency account there are no transaction fees as you are not wiring the money anywhere.

10% for me so I don’t tell the tax man :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I MADE TWO YEARs SALARY sitting on the toilet . I just thought I’d share with you guys.

2 Likes

Are you laying golden eggs (bars?) on the toilet

1 Like

100% of nothing is still nothing :crazy_face:

1 Like