What's Your Favourite Neil Young Song?

Just an anecdote:

Neil Young has his yacht for sale - Sweet boat

You can’t just name favourites, there’s some stuff that is the very best in the world for unique needs.

Like on those rare occasions when the world really, meaningfully, whips open its seedy raincoat and exposes you unflinchingly to its endless, bottomless expanse of sheer bitter blackness, pure and unsullied by the tiniest point of brightness, and the raw and brutal reality that you were born alone, have always been alone, and will die alone, and not a grain of it meant any-fucking-thing at all is so unmitigated and unthinkably pervasive that not only can you not escape it, you leap forward to embrace it and revel in the horror and despair, then, my friend, there’s no better recourse than a bottle of crap whiskey, a couple packs of smokes, and Tonight’s The Night, turned up very loud on Auto-Repeat.

Heading down Highway 10* in the July dusk in a pickup with all the windows down, with a tequila-loving blonde next to you manning the cooler, on the other hand, why, that’s exactly what they recorded Ragged Glory** for.

*this is the actual stretch I had in mind…

(**jpresley’s comments notwithstanding, given he’s basically just a loud pair of Grandma panties…)

He’s got a right whiny-sounding voice, though. Never could stomach him. Always makes me think he needs his adenoids seen to.

True, but is he any worse than Dylan?

His Bobness is his Bobness and therefore above reproach. Neil Young’s just a whiny Canookistanislovakian with impeded dress sense.

But Neil Young still produces awesome songs… Bob Dylan ?

[quote=“headhonchoII”]But Neil Young still produces awesome songs… Bob Dylan ?[/quote]Even more awesomer. Plus, with style. :thumbsup:

Bah. :raspberry:

Not even close.

Utter nonsense. I love Uncle Bob, but he hasn’t made a great album since 1975: “The Basement Tapes”. Uncle Neil has made 14. Go figure.

He hasn’t made any. I can’t abide Neil Young. Rather listen to paint dry.

That’s just your opinion, man. At least Neil hasn’t embraced 57 different religions, wasted his time whining about them, been a drug pussy, wasted his time whining about it, played the same fucking song for 50 years, whilst whining.

That’s just your opinion, man. At least Neil hasn’t embraced 57 different religions, wasted his time whining about them, been a drug pussy, wasted his time whining about it, played the same fucking song for 50 years, whilst whining.[/quote]
Except my opinion is worth more than yours on account of… well, something, that’s pretty obvious. And he wears them stupid lumberjack shirts, too. And seldom combs his hair. Basically a slattern, in other words.

At least he fucken has hair! :roflmao:

Sandy, I love and respect you, but if you continue with this absurd line of reasoning, I’m going to be compelled to hunt you down and feed you to the feral haggises, which the feral ladies persist in feeding, that occupy my apartment complex.

Why is your apartment complex?

That’s just your opinion, man. At least Neil hasn’t embraced 57 different religions, wasted his time whining about them, been a drug pussy, wasted his time whining about it, played the same fucking song for 50 years, whilst whining.[/quote]
I’m a big fan of both. Yet, I’d wager that Young has produced more crap albums than Dylan has. And that Young’s worst album is far more odious than the most mediocre of Dylan.

Cinnamon Girl because since age 18 I have only dated and have now married cinnamon girls (2 to date), and there’s nothing like an ode to what you love (or lay pipe to).

(JP don’t you mean “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”)

This thread has seriously degenerated since its inception, why not just start a “Suckiest Dylan vs Young Deathmatch” thread?

not everyone can be The Proclaimers.

not everyone can be The Proclaimers.[/quote]
The Everly Brothers could. If they wanted to.

The thing is, TwoTongues, as numerous posters have pointed out, it’s too hard to name just one great Neil Young song, because there are too many (although I agree he’s surely had some bad ones). Sure, Cinammon Girl’s great. But what about Down by the River or Hey, Hey, My, My? In fact, for that reason, it’s fairly meaningless to name just one.

On the other hand, it’s an interesting question whether Bob or Neil has a crappier voice. Both great songwriters, both great guitarists, both great musicians, one even gets used to their crappy voices (as a kid gets used to coffee or alcohol) and comes to love them. But they still both sing like crap. And, unlike the best song question, there can be only one who sings worse than the other.

On the other hand, their whining/groany voices still beat 99% of hip-hop “artists” (except the Sugar Hill Gang’s Rapper’s Delight - urodacus will back me up on that), who are basically just talking.

MT, I think the thread is for “favorite”, not “greatest” (e.g. Nick Cage is one of the first actors who I’d wanna have a beer with, but his acting is generally total shit), though of course faves change with one’s moods. But surely if you go through your playlist in you head, one song keeps coming up slightly ahead of the others… (OK except JP who apparently not only knows all of them, but has a High Fidelity-type ranking and rationale for each). That’s why CG is my favorite, Young’s got some other great songs, but none could be a favorite what will all the juicy love related to CG…