What's your media?

I guess. I think my Master’s degree changed me. It required me to listen more and also getting old made me realize the conservative approach my father took with me as a kid has some value and truth to it.

1 Like

You’re the exception. The majority of people become more fixed in their beliefs as they age. It’s a natural process.

2 Likes

I’m actually very glad I didn’t grow up with left right politics in Taiwan. I think it allowed me to be more fluid and go from side to side on different issues.

that’s nice of you but I’m hardly a unicorn. :joy::joy::joy:

But you’re right a lot of folks do get “set in their ways”. I guess I want to be that 87 year old who’s still learning.

I get most of my news from the Apple News and Google News apps (virtually all media sources ok, but with some topics of interest highlighted (certain industries, certain legal topics, video games, my sports teams, etc). I also get a lot from YouTube, though I try to keep a mix…I regularly have on Rubin Report, TYT, Tim Pool, David Packman, and Nuance Bro and watch Rogan based on guests.

Is am deeply ashamed I used to watch them. These guys are clowns.

If I remember the narrative of the time, he was about locking women in binders, locking black people in chains, and locking pets to cars.

Yes, but they are widely watched clowns. It’s important to understand how others view things from a different angle than you do.

I can’t. I cringe remembering I took them seriously. Like wtf. An Armenian host denying the Armenian Genocide…a union supporting host shutting down his employees from unionizing lol. The list goes on and on. Awful news and awful people

I like to watch

Al jazeera

I try to read The Guardian, The Economist, The Atlantic, WSJ, Taiwan News, Taipei Times and Focus Taiwan. Google is quite good at giving me reading suggestions on top of that.

I subscribe to Haaretz, Israel’s left-wing paper. I use my mother’s WSJ password and my sister’s Wapo password.

the Atlantic has some good writing.

1 Like

BBC, Guardian, NYT.

But I’m a filthy communist.

Together we shall end transphobic language while fighting to make the pay of the top earning 10% of women working in media the same as men, comrade.

1 Like

If I want to know about some news event, then most times I start with a US news source like WSJ (I subscribe) or NYT (I cheat with private window) or WaPo (same trick). I always then go to a conservative news source like FOX or Drudge or realclearpolitics (the latter two because they’d done the news gathering for me), in order to learn what the other side says about it.

I refuse to click on any CNN or MSNBC link because I flat out refuse to give them even one red penny in revenue. Same with the Guardian, the Atlantic, the Economist, BuzzFeed, HuffPo, and the remaining pantheon of minor gods of lib “non-fiction” like Slate, Salon, etc.

I subscribed to The New Yorker magazine for more than 20 years, but gave it up when Tina Brown moved in (it does not seem to have improved since, so). I used to listen to NPr every day (often all day), and I used to watch PBS daily, too. Gave 'em both up in mid-2017 when neither could find common ground with Trump, and so became merely annoying.

Mostly BBC, sometimes CNN, used to watch a bit of Fox when it was on satellite here. CNN and Fox are too U.S. oriented for me. The Guardian. Mostly pick up news from lefty outfits: Mother Jones, Talking Points Memo. Hometown news from the Vancouver Sun (not affiliated with the trashy Sun tabloids in the rest of Canada).