When did they start calling it "The Lunar Year"

They call their nearest Holiday by a different name. It looks like the Vietnamese call their holiday Tet.
And though they also use the lunar calendar they have their own unique foods and traditions. If I was not allergic to fish I would love to go to a Vietnamese restaurant.

You’re lucky they don’t serve fish at CNY.

No, the Lunar is around November, the real November, the one which literally means the 9th month, novem-mēmbris. Not the fake one, September, which means the 7th month.

Anyway, any calendar based on the principles of the lunar cycle, meaning the dates are matched to the cycles of the moon, having 1 fixed date for the full moon, would be a lunar calendar. It’s pretty safe to say all humans started with a lunar calendar. That’s why the word for month shares etymology with moon in almost all languages. It’s just that some people realized we wanted a calendar because we need to reference it for when to start farming, and basing it on the moon sucks after every couple decades.

Strict lunar calendar is fine for people living in places where the weather is mostly the same and people depend on herding to provide most of the food source anyway.

Fish is required for LNY, 年年有魚, anyone?

About that, you start farming when it doesn’t rain, no matter what calendar you use.

Tet is just a more archaic way of saying 節, as in 年節. 節 would be tseh, tsat, tsueh, tsiat in Taigi, depending on the accent of the speaker.

It’s the /t/ → /ts/ → /s/ sound change that got us 提, 匙 and 是, which all were supposed to sound the same.

Vietnamese perhaps preserved the most Old Chinese features in their Chinese loanwords.

2 Likes

Egg-er-zactly.

Cos you are the expert on historical farmers I see.:sunglasses:
They still needed good rules of thumb.
An example is the harvest moon. When farmers should harvest, when they should plant, when they should be free to do other things, when to get together to have their celebrations .

The ancient people (e.g. pre celts and celts) did pay very particular attention to the sun and stars as well They wanted that level of accuracy But for that you’d probably need the experts, the druids, the astrologers…

I’m guessing the lunar year was just so much easier to follow for farmers though.

They do serve fish at Chinese new year. I’m just lucky enough to have a family who separates my portion and finds alternative seasonings, like the vegetarian version of certain sauces, so I can enjoy the rest of the food with them.

2 Likes

September is the fake one?

Do you realize we are arguing over the beginning of a wheel? It can start and stop anyplace.

Different cultures have different starts of the year. I use the Jewish calendar and the New Year most definitely falls around the end of September and beginning of October.
It’s not related to the word September was literally means seven because it’s not connected to English or Latin at all.
It’s real name is called Tishrie.

But you may be correct. The one in September maybe the fake one… the judeo Christian Bible says the first month of the world was it a month called Nissan which starts between March and April.
An article in the Jerusalem Post seems to suggest that the first month of the year was moved to the fall because of its agricultural significance.

When you argue which month the real New Year falls, you’re going to have a lot of different ideas. And the ones using the English names only apply to Greek and Latin culture.

1 Like

What a coincidence, Nissan had/has a car model named March.

2 Likes

You’re missing out. The Vietnamese version is better.

2 Likes

Yeah, you are right! If you are here in Taiwan or in Vietnam and you’re willing to talk to chefs and Cooks to guarantee my safety I would really love to try the stuff.

Getting the ability to try all sorts of local dishes was not easy with a lot of trips to the hospital and a lot of arguing. …
I’m open to try almost anything that’s safe except maybe reptiles or duck heads.

If you were to come to Taiwan with any kind of fish allergy I would say stay away…
Unless you’re willing to really go through trials.
Oh and if you don’t have any allergies, stop complaining about the freaking food here you don’t know how lucky you are to be able to eat almost anything.

1 Like

https://www.citypassguide.com/blog/essential-vietnamese-new-year-foods-southern-food

https://www.citypassguide.com/blog/essential-vietnamese-new-year-foods-north-food

Thịt kho Tàu is just lóo-bah. I think it literally means Chinese braised meat.

Canh khổ qua dồn thịt is 苦瓜封, the word for bitter melon is almost the same as Taigi, khóo-kue.

Bánh Chưng literally is 餅蒸 or steamed cake, and is pretty much a square Zhongzi.

Thịt đông is the same as 肉凍, the meat part is Vietic, and the 凍 part is Sino-vietnamese.

I mean, for the “must have” dishes, it doesn’t look all that different.

1 Like

Just because I speak English doesn’t mean I’m from England.

1 Like

If England was still threatening to invade other English-speaking countries, we’d rename the language.

2 Likes

Or the US.

“Looks like”?!?

You’re speaking with a lot of self-proclaimed authority on lunar new year celebrations to just now be learning about Tet. Hello, Tet Offensive? No?

2 Likes

tee hee! i see what you did there!

I wasn’t trying to do anything there, except name one of the more obvious (to Westerners, anyway) of many reasons that he should know what Tet is.

For me, it was when I learned about Tet (before I had ever lived in Asia or been to Taiwan) that I first realized how stupid it is that we call it it “Chinese” New Year.

1 Like