When did they start calling it "The Lunar Year"

The Lunar New Year. No.
A Lunar New Year, yes.

The first calendar that humans used was the Moon. They looked up at the sky and he noticed the regularity of the phases of the Moon.
Even the native Americans had a lunar calendar and they were cut off from the civilization of Eurasia.

Right now there are at least three major cultures using the Lunar Calendar.
The Islamic Calendar which is purely a lunar calendar.
The Chinese calendar and the Hebrew calendar.
In researching this subject I found out that the native Americans also have a current calendar which uses 13 moons.
Anyway the celebrations we are having now are basically the Chinese New Year with Chinese traditions and Chinese rituals.
The other countries may also celebrate a similar New Year but is not the Lunar New Year.
Calling it The Lunar New Year, in my opinion, would take away from uniqueness of the countries like Vietnam or Korea and other cultures that celebrate similar things.

3 Likes

When I was doing a report in Junior High in English, I called it the lunar new year.

In fact, the calendar system based on the lunar cycle has always been referred to as 陰曆 Yin calendar in Chinese, Yin is the moon, as opposed to Yang being the sun. So it has always been the lunar calendar.

The question should really be when did they start calling it the Chinese new year. My guess is it’s the same reason why “a lunar new year” changed to “the lunar new year”. Since now there is another “new year”, they needed to specify it’s “the lunar one” or “the Chinese one”.

By the way, after the fall of the Song dynasty, Chinese astronomy basically died with the Mongol invasion. For a long time people couldn’t accurately predict before hand the date of the new year, which is the first new moon after winter solstice. So people just used the winter solstice as the new year. That’s why you would still sometimes year “you are one year older after the winter solstice (or after you eat tangyuan)”.

By the way, they actually even had difficulties determining the solstices, as they still believe the way to measure when solstice happens is by the Qi of the earth blowing up ash from a particular length of tube in the ground. So even the date of the winter solstice they used was questionable.

It wasn’t until the Jesuits missionary arrived and fixed the calendar that the Chinese had something that resembled a working calendar again.

6 Likes

Sure why not, just like saying “the Fourth of July” invalidates similar holidays in Rwanda and the Philippines, right?
Or saying “I’m going to take the subway” takes away from other cities that also have subways, yeah?

Calling it lunar new year causes a lot of butthurt so it’s the preferred term for me.

6 Likes

This is the first year I tried calling it LNY instead of CNY. I refused to call it anything but CNY before because I had a professor of Tibetan history (from Tibet) who told us that Tibet’s Lunar New Year was often in March, not Jan/Feb like China’s. In that case, even within Asia, The Lunar New Year is not the same thing as Chinese New Year. Calling it “Chinese New Year” when you’re actually referring to non-Chinese countries (and both dates and traditions are not the same as China, which in and of itself is not actually one monolithic nation), is an insult to those other cultures. At the same time, what the West has gotten up in arms about (“it’s not just China’s, all of Asia is celebrating”) is false. The vast, overwhelming majority of “lunar new year” festivities in the West are China-centric. Virtually no one is celebrating Vietnamese or Korean or any other country’s LNY traditions. They’re learning about hongbao, looking at 春聯 and eating fish, which sounds like “surplus” in Mandarin Chinese. That’s Chinese New Year.

Edit: in 500 years, it won’t matter what it’s called, just as Christians run around screeching about how “Jesus is the reason for the season” in December, even though absolutely NOTHING about Christmas has anything to do with Jesus’s birth, right down to when his birthday was alleged to be.

6 Likes

In English ‘month’ originates for moon. As ‘maand’ in Dutch originates from maan (moon). A month was a moon phase.

3 Likes

I’ve started it calling it lunar new year over the last year or two. Except for when I talk with Chinese , cos it is their Chinese new year.

The lunar calendar was the farmers calendar.
So you will see farmers in Ireland consulting Old Moore’s Almanac and also many farmers and religious types use the lunar new year in Taiwan also.

Edit - I didn’t realize this almanac is an Irish thing and Old Moore was some kind of genius way back when. What a name…Theophilus Moore :grin:.

publication for the agricultural community in rural Ireland. Farmers and fishing folk of the day found the tables of moon and tide times, and transport information, among other useful information very handy on a daily basis

1 Like

In pretty much every language, “month” sounds like “moon”, just as the sun and the moon (Sunday, Monday) also tend to get their own days of the week. Humans have some pretty common tendencies…

1 Like

It’s like building pyramids, because they are the most stable way of building a structure, not influenced by ALIENS.

1 Like

I’m just glad there’s a term for it that doesn’t have the word “Chinese” in it. It is celebrated in many countries that aren’t China, including this one. Lunar works for me.

4 Likes

That’s mostly due to the rule difference regarding the placement of leap months.

No one would say “Chinese” new year in Chinese. They’d say stuff like 農曆新年, 春節 or other crap instead.

No. It was called the lunar calendar since the beginning. The term farmer’s calendar didn’t become a thing until Gregorian calendar was adopted and people had to find a way to refer to the old calendar, and they disliked the term “old calendar”.

2 Likes

I don’t think he meant it was called the “farmer’s calendar,” but rather that it developed to meet the needs of an agricultural society.

2 Likes

Actually, the idea of calling it LNY is to break with all the “exclusivity” of the celebration by China only and recognizing that this time of the year is celebrated by several other countries/cultures their own way.

6 Likes

By the way, don’t get me started on the idiocy of the supposed “Farmer calendar”.

You’d be hard pressed to find any useful crop whose growth cycle bears any relation to the moon. Most of the plants depends on the sun for energy, so their cycles match the sun’s. Frankly so does most seasonal climate, since the sun is the main source of the Earth’s heat and that’s the driving force of wind.

So whenever I hear Taiwanese farmers saying stuff like “we only pick tea after May 5th on the lunar calendar”, it sounds like complete madness to me.

Oh, and many of the users of the “Farmer’s calendar” would tout about the usefulness and the genius of Jieqi (節氣). Those are just the solar calendar. You had to look them up on the lunar calendar because they don’t fall on the same date each lunar year. However, if you use the Gregorian calendar, they are the same every single year. The spring equinox would always fall on March 21 or 22.

The only reason the Chinese calendar transitioned from a pure lunar one (太陰曆) to a solar calendar jammed into the shape of a lunar calendar (陰陽合曆) was because people realized the moon’s phases don’t exactly match the Earth’s orbit around the sun. So doing a pure lunar calendar would be a poor reference for agriculture needs in the long run.

It’s like ‘Merry Christmas’ changed in to ‘Happy Holidays’!

Are you sure it didn’t change from “Happy Holidays” to “Merry Christmas” originally?

2 Likes

Originally, it was “Bah, humbug!”

3 Likes

No, the Lunar is around September. That is commonly called the Jewish New Year. That is the time religious Jews believe the world was created.

Is the Jewish Calendar a lunar calendar, yes. To Jews it is THE LUNAR New Year.

The Islamic Calendar according to Office Holidays …
“Marks Islamic New Year and the Prophet’s journey from Mecca to Medina in 622AD.”
Is that not a lunar new year?

And let’s not forget about one of the many native American lunar calendars that all have other New Year.

I will respect each individual culture and I will call the Jewish New Year the Jewish New Year, the Chinese New Year, the Chinese New Year and so on. I will not use the words Lunar New Year.

Happy ‘Whatever’ New Year?

That won’t work cuz I want my Chinese food and that’s why I’m here in Taiwan because I like my Chinese New Year food.

I don’t want whatever new year food Nor Vietnamese New Year food. I just want Chinese New Year food.