When do you stop thinking of yourself as a "foreigner"?

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“the chief”]I’m standing on the corner, jawing with my buddy.
A scooter is stopped at the light and the two cryptorchidic sub-evolutional office penii [/quote]

What’s a penius?[/quote]

Anybody it wants to.

[quote=“the chief”]I’m standing on the corner, jawing with my buddy.
A scooter is stopped at the light and the two cryptorchidic sub-evolutional office penii riding it are staring at us with slack-jawed grins.
chief: (in English) What the fuck are you looking at?
penii 1: (in English) Nussing…just being friendly…
chief: (in English) Yeah? Well go be fucking friendly somewhere else…

I guess when stuff like that doesn’t happen, yeah, that’s when…[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA! :notworthy:

Which poses a nice follow up question. Who of you actually wants to BE Taiwanese/Chinese? I mean the whole shtick and mentality?

I guess developing some common sense, blending in, falling in line and playing by the rules suffices most of the time. No real need for much more wherever I went.

Some of my local friends call me half Taiwanese. I really want to smack them in the mouth for that, but I know they think they are giving me face with that comment. I smile back at them, but only from the nose down. One smile, two interpretations.

I would vote for ‘Always a wog’ if the OP could fix his borked poll. :wink:

I thought it was…“Steenking foreigner”…?

I can’t seem to get in to fix it, wog boy! :laughing:

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
I can’t seem to get in to fix it, wog boy! :laughing:[/quote]You talkin’ to me, maate? :wink:

Yeah you, red wogmobile!

HG

I feel like a wog I don’t wanna go home
I’ve got a lot of life to run through
I feel like a wog
I don’t mean you no harm
Just don’t ask me to shine your shoes

Golly gee Golly gosh
Don’t call me your Golly Wog
Golly gee Golly gosh
Don’t call me your Golly Wog

The Stranglers are somehow less offensive than Con the fruiterer:

HG

When you point to the other foreigners in the street and say to your kids really loudly, “Wai Guo Ren! Wai Guo Ren! Harrow! Chung Harrow!”

When I go back to my home-country.

I’m rather busy working 6 day weeks doing 1 or 2 installs a day before the world cup.

Anyways it’s rather old news. Still bring some shocked faces from both foreigners and locals alike.

Anyway it’s a good way to earn a few extra dollars from bets when people dare to prove it. Easy Money.

I never think of myself as a foreigner if I stop to actually think about it. But I rarely stop to think about it…

bobepine

I say your a local when you sell food from your garden at a morning market, drive a blue truck, know where the best place to buy duck, enjoy the smell of stinky Tofo(in fact you just don’t like it it turns you on)

Usually never pay more than 80Nt a meal.

When you can rate the breakfastshops and bow ze shops in order of quality

Start drinking those fucked energy drinks they sell in small brown botttles. And attend t large outdoor KTV gatherings on top of mountians and in other out of the way places

When do I stop thinking of myself as a “foreigner”?

When I stop getting gawked at like one. Seeing as that’s not going to happen until I leave, I suppose therein lies my answer.

[quote=“snydewynder”]I say your a local when you sell food from your garden at a morning market, drive a blue truck, know where the best place to buy duck, enjoy the smell of stinky Tofo(in fact you just don’t like it it turns you on)

Usually never pay more than 80Nt a meal.

When you can rate the breakfastshops and bow ze shops in order of quality

Start drinking those fucked energy drinks they sell in small brown botttles. And attend t large outdoor KTV gatherings on top of mountians and in other out of the way places[/quote]

Damn Man! But I’m close though. 80 NT a meal though? That’s for a family right?

Damn Man! But I’m close though. 80 NT a meal though? That’s for a family right?[/quote]

The family maximum is NT$220

I think any foreigner that actually gets to the point where they stop thinking of themselves as a foreigner, and start thinking of themselves as a local and “fitting in,” they have a LOT to worry about. :astonished:

Seems like you all spend more time worrying about wether you fit in or not. I don’t think of myself as a foreigner or as a local. Who really cares??? :unamused: :unamused:

I just do my thing and get on with life. :happybiker:

Like most other long term invaders from abroad that I know, we don’t get into the Chinese culture trip, practice our Chinese on others unless totally necessary ( the guys that work for me don’t speak English ) and dont give a rats arse about what people who are not our close friends really say or think. :boo-hoo: :boo-hoo: