When ignorance of the law gets your ARC cancelled and deported

Anyone want to join their petition against deportation. Maybe get a permit and organize a protest rally for people who have lived here long enough to get an ARPC and still don’t know the law?

​Petition launched protesting deportation of DJs from Taiwan - News - Mixmag?

2 Likes

That’s a weird story. Raises more questions than answers.

3 Likes

Read the comments section

2 Likes

Good. Now if authorities could just deport half of the people that regularly hang out at Revolver we’d be cleaning up Taiwan.

3 Likes

Based on the comments looks like they were DJing in nightclubs on ARCs. Doubt they had a work permit for every gig.

I was recently offered an easy money one-on-one teaching gig but said no because I didn’t want to run the risk. These morons are organizing events without even looking into permits?

6 Likes

A petition has been launched calling to reconsider the deportation of three DJs from Taiwan, all of whom are said to be “upstanding citizens” of the country.

They are foreigners and can be deported at any time.

5 Likes

Why weren’t they on APRCs? All three of them?

And somebody obviously knew they weren’t.

Bizarre.

2 Likes

Yeah, I honestly can’t figure out what even happened here. The usual pisspoor reporting from the English-language media. My APRC comes with an open work permit - I can more-or-less do anything I like (except, apparently, be the captain of a fishing boat, which irks me no end). AFAIK even an old-fashioned JFRV comes with a similar arrangement. So did they or didn’t they have APRCs? If they didn’t, it was a bit daft on their part not to apply - if they’ve been here so long, they must have surely been aware that the Ministry can be really anal-retentive, and they seem to have a special hatred for musicians. This sort of thing has happened before.

8 Likes

Long term visa runners, perhaps?

Do people still do that?

They apparently had ARCs not APRCs. It says in the article.

As you say, it’s happened before. I remember that guy in Taitung who got deported after participating in some government-sponsored event.

No idea why the MOL/NIA considers it so important to protect Taiwanese people from foreign performers and the people in question should probably have known better, but I don’t think it’s necessarily obvious that someone living and working here for 5+ years shouldn’t be allowed to, say, occasionally play in a band or perform at an open mic night.

The petition is apparently from December anyway, so they’ve presumably already been kicked out.

4 Likes

It’s not necessarily protecting Taiwanese people from foreign performers. While I get there is nuance and this doesn’t mean I am taking a stance on this, but it often is work and can also protect foreign performers whose legal purpose is to perform here.

1 Like

They have ARC’s

1 Like

I see on IG tons of tattoo artists flying in to service clients. I’m sure they have the proper work permit and are paying tax. Can NIA deport them too?

Big difference tho, tattooing requires skiils :joy:

1 Like

Wonder if there is a drug angle to this, and this deportation is getting them on a technicality. Complete shot in the dark, I have no idea if there is a connection.

Thanks for the laugh, had no idea you had aspirations to be a captain, RIP

2 Likes

I could knock you up a Taiwan flag.

1 Like

I can make you a playlist :wink:

Sounds plausible (kicking them out for an ARC violation would avoid the necessity of getting a drug conviction) but the authorities really do seem to loathe musicians with a passion normally reserved for street mime artists. Could also be they just offended someone with sufficient connections to make it happen.

3 Likes

Nah, if they want to get a drug conviction on someone they’re certainly capable of doing it. Just low hanging fruit, I think.

4 Likes