When last did you see somebody drinking out of a saucer?

I’ve just been watching Emil, a movie I saw when I was about 5. I remembered how people used to drink tea/coffee out of saucers to cool it down if they were in a hurry. Was it a common practice before, or was it just my family who used to do it?

Country people used to do it in Ireland, last time I saw it was about 1982.
:bow:

Commonly it went like this in rural Ireland
‘Hello XXXX, I’m here now’ (neighbour enters house without knocking or any prior arrangements and just sits down)
‘Ah How are ya XXXX, would you mind a cup of tea’
‘Well I wouldn’t mind a sup’
‘Pours hot tea from cup into saucer, slurrrrpppppp’

I visited Guangzhou in 2007.
I clearly remember the locals drinking beer from medium sized saucers like it was nothing.

I just did it this morning, spilled some coffee in mine and just drank from the saucer … you also have saucier … but that’s another story.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

In the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds. And it was human juice they drank…!

Plus various cats.

Me, last week, drinking beer.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Country people used to do it in Ireland, last time I saw it was about 1982.
:bow:

Commonly it went like this in rural Ireland
‘Hello XXXX, I’m here now’ (neighbour enters house without knocking or any prior arrangements and just sits down)
‘Ah How are ya XXXX, would you mind a cup of tea’
‘Well I wouldn’t mind a sup’
‘Pours hot tea from cup into saucer, slurrrrpppppp’[/quote]

It still goes like that, I’m sure. At least it does on the Southern Shore of Newfoundland, also known as the Irish Loop. Most are Irish descendants. I really can’t remember the last time I’ve seen it, but I have seen it on trips back home since moving to Taiwan in 1998.

Well, I do remember my dad (in Germany) doing that with hot coffee until the 80s probably. Mum must have educated him not to do it anymore during the late 80s I guess. :laughing: I remember some old aunts with countryside upbringing to do it in the 70s I think.

My Lancashire grandfather, about 30 years ago

Or dad in the 90s when mum was not there.

aforum.genealogi.se/discus/messa … 255263.jpg