When to put a dog down?

My gfs dog is really at the end now. Nobody wants to face it. Even I ignored it until now, but I feel like its hard to ignore at this point.

He has dementia and is blind and has been that way for over a year. His behavior is nothing like how he used to be, he just walks around in circles looking lost and bumps into things. He doesn’t sleep well at night, constantly wakes up, and doesn’t do any of his business outside. His ability to stand and walk is getting worse too. My gf is the one who has to take care of him the majority of time and at night. So she barely gets any sleep. I feel like things are just going to get worse and worse, soon he won’t even be able to stand. I wish the parents would bring it up, I said something but it wasn’t taken well.

Sounds like the family needs to get together and make a family decision.

1 Like

People and their pets … I recommend to keep ignoring.

If they see a responsible veterinary, they will be told that it is time due to quality of life issues. Most vets hate to suggest euthanasia and will use it only when the quality of life of the animal is compromised, like extreme pain, or as in this case, inability to keep on performing minimum normal life actions.

Maybe try taking the doggie to a reputable vet? Maybe the family will listen then?

I am.sorry and thank you for caring.

2 Likes

I had a cat that stopped eating for weeks, and nothing I could to could save her, she had nasty tumor all over her belly.

She started hiding and only came out to die…

Could have put her down a week earlier…

It was also in the middle of a typhoon, and when I discovered she had died, the instant I realized that, the power went out. Maybe the ghost of the cat did something.

They are seeing vets quite regularly as he keeps having issues, nothing has been said so far.

Yea its hard to say anything. It’s just time. The poor sod was having a shitty time when moving around, now he barely walks about and spends most of the time laying down looking depressed.