I could have settled, but anyways am happy to be making waaaaay more money
![]()
Yes that’s right I forgot.
According to a report by TVBS News, a proposal to issue a new round of universal cash payments in Taiwan has sparked public discussion, particularly regarding its financial feasibility and long-term impact.
Kuomintang (KMT) legislator Lo Ming-tsai suggested distributing NT$10,000 per person as a “petroleum subsidy” to help offset rising living costs linked to global oil prices and international developments.
During a Taipei City Council session, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) councilor Hsu Shu-hua raised questions about the policy’s suitability. Taipei City Government official Su Fang-yu responded that such measures are typically determined by the central government, and local authorities would not take a formal position.
Officials also highlighted fiscal considerations, noting that large-scale cash distributions could impact budget reserves and future public infrastructure funding.
As of now, the proposal remains under discussion and has not been approved. ![]()
Source: TVBS News (April 14, 2026)
Elections year
Kuomintang (KMT) legislator Lo Ming-tsai suggested distributing NT$10,000 per person as a “petroleum subsidy” to help offset rising living costs linked to global oil prices and international developments
It would be interesting to know how much they’re subsidizing CPC during these times.
And how much the subsidy averages per person per year.
Potentially, a cash distribution to “everyone” (including foreign residents) would be better than a blanket subsidy of gas.
According to a report by TVBS News, a proposal to issue a new round of universal cash payments in Taiwan has sparked public discussion, particularly regarding its financial feasibility and long-term impact.
Kuomintang (KMT) legislator Lo Ming-tsai suggested distributing NT$10,000 per person as a “petroleum subsidy” to help offset rising living costs linked to global oil prices and international developments.
During a Taipei City Council session, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) councilor Hsu Shu-hua raised questions about the policy’s suitability. Taipei City Government official Su Fang-yu responded that such measures are typically determined by the central government, and local authorities would not take a formal position.
Officials also highlighted fiscal considerations, noting that large-scale cash distributions could impact budget reserves and future public infrastructure funding.
As of now, the proposal remains under discussion and has not been approved.
Source: TVBS News (April 14, 2026)
@comfy123 predicting shit was not on my bingo card this year.
As long as the KMT (secretly the Kash Handout Party—that is, the KHP) exists and holds a majority in the LY, this outcome will remain on the table.
Guy
It’s so funny like how KMT just win people by giving them free money.
Isn’t that how the CCP got the KMT to basically flip sides in the civil war?
Also, much better for the CCP than if that money were spent on defense…
Also, much better for the CCP than if that money were spent on defense…
Something like that…yeah. Their lackeys will throw money at Taiwanese young and old to get influence. Old people especially, just buy them a bian dang in the countryside and they are yours. ![]()
KMT (secretly the Kash Handout Party—that is, the KHP)
Their dear ole leader had the moniker General ‘Cash my Check’ back in WWII.
how KMT just win people by giving them free money.
Gimme!!!
Kash Handout Party—that is, the KHP
Giimmeeeeee
But i prefer shares in taipower. Tai gas. Tai water. And tai semi. Free
[!quote] taiwannews.com.tw
A proposed NT$10,000 (US$316) cash distribution plan for 2026 is under review in the legislature, while several local governments are running separate cash relief programs.
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/news/6383728
![]()
In Taitung County’s Donghe Township, eligible residents will receive NT$3,000. Payments are underway from June 10 through July 31.
Donghe is the place to be north of Taitung City.
Meanwhile that ridiculous LY has not even approved the 2026 budget yet! They constantly claim there is no money for defence, libraries, and other basic public needs. But somehow there is money for this—a complete joke.
Guy
Meanwhile that ridiculous LY has not even approved the 2026 budget yet! They constantly claim there is no money for defence, libraries, and other basic public needs. But somehow there is money for this—a complete joke.
To be honest, I’m not particularly worried about whether Taiwan spends more on defence, libraries, or something else… I’m living in Australia now, so it’s not really my concern. If the government wants to send me NT$10,000, I’m certainly not going to say no.
To be honest, I’m not particularly worried about whether Taiwan spends more on defence, libraries, or something else… I’m living in Australia now, so it’s not really my concern
I still strongly believe that they should exclude TW nationals and APRC holders who aren’t tax residents of Taiwan (i.e. not staying in TW and not paying taxes) and rather include ARC holders who do pay taxes…
Or just increase the tax exemptions / special deductions etc…
I still strongly believe that they should exclude TW nationals and APRC holders who aren’t tax residents of Taiwan (i.e. not staying in TW and not paying taxes) and rather include ARC holders who do pay taxes…
Or just increase the tax exemptions / special deductions etc…
No thanks, I much prefer this system.
I don’t live in Taiwan, I don’t pay tax in Taiwan, and I’m still eligible for the NT$10,000. From my perspective, that’s excellent policy.
Why would I support changing a system that gives me free money? I’m in Australia now, so if Taiwan wants to send cash to people like me, I’ll happily take it.
I’m in Australia
U workin to get another passport?
U workin to get another passport?
No, I think it’s time to settle down now. I’ve always had my Australian passport.
Taiwan was a great chapter of my life, but Australia is home and where I’ll be staying long term, therefore no need to get another passport.