When will the US invade Iran?

Easy come , easy go.

And now this:

Iran is also very unlikely to push its Iraqi political forces to go ahead with legislation asking US troops to leave the country, as this would raise strong objections from Kurdish and Sunni forces and push them to work for separation. Iran would be the first party affected by such a dangerous move.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-01-03/trump-iran-strike-how-the-u-s-gamble-can-pay-off

That said, Trump’s wager may pay off. The Iranian regime has historically been aggressive but not suicidal. The knowledge that the U.S. can and will target top regime leaders probably terrifies Iranian officials as much as it enrages them. And whereas Iran had been controlling the pace of the confrontation prior to this point — gradually increasing the military pressure in response to U.S. economic pressure — Washington has now shown its ability to escalate in unexpected and devastating ways. Washington may have miscalculated in killing Soleimani and Muhandis, but right now is it Iranian leaders who surely feel that they have badly misjudged the enemy. That realization may indeed have a sobering effect as Tehran considers whether it would profit from intensifying the confrontation.

Ah, the put up or shut up strategy.

So what info has been made available to you concerning the exact nature of this threat?

I find it interesting how God is blessing both the US and Iran at the same time. :no_mouth:

1 Like

CNN wags the dog.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/politics/military-draft-selective-service-site-crash-trnd/index.html

A high school kid actually gave me the whole speech Friday.

I can’t buy alcohol or smokes but I can go die in a war.

There ain’t no draft no more.

Yeah but…CNN.

Yeah, I suspect the bigger threat to their security comes from CNN, not a revival of the SSA.

I think the odds we invade Iran are approximately one bazilliion to one, give or take a trillion or five. They’re going to be ok,

AH, I miss the days when the Dems thought the GOPOTUS was just dumb:

Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing. He concludes by saying: “Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed.”

“OH NO!” the President exclaims. “That’s terrible!”

His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands.

Finally, the President looks up and asks, “How many is a brazillion?”

1 Like

God hedges His bets.

…or he isn’t very nice.

The man is dead. The man was targeted and killed by US military. The man was a state official of Iran.

Do you dispute these facts? Those are the only facts essential to my argument.

Then we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Certainly it’s well within the realm of possibility that the killing was completely justified.

If you consider the safety of US personnel abroad of no consequence, or if you think the term is limited to military personnel only, then we’re not going to see eye to eye.

Tom “suck on this” Friedman is assuring us that this will be a cakewalk, just like Iraq.

1 Like

Us?

He’s still writing…:grin::rofl:…Now that is funny.

1 Like

I’m not currently arguing whether or not the act was justified (although I do have an opinion on that). I am arguing whether it constitutes an act of war or not.

Directing our national military to target and kill an official of another state is an act of war.

That statement’s veracity has nothing to do with whether or not the killing was justified.

It’s one thing when the US military is targeting terrorist targets that are acting independently of a nation state. It’s another thing when the US military is targeting officials of another government.

Do folks ever listen to the language chosen.
He was ‘terminated’ not ‘killed’ .
He was a ‘terrorist leader’ not an 'army general '.
Just say he was killed at least.

1 Like

Friedman went to my high school. Nobody seems particularly proud of that, oddly.

1 Like

Nothing odd about it.

2 Likes

I’ve never got why gassing your own people is worse than gassing other people. And I don’t think Saddam considered Kurds his own people nor did the Kurds consider themselves his people.

This is confusing enough that I will fight this phone for a while here.

So do you think Trump should be impeached because he unconstitutionally used war powers belonging to Congress?

Or is your point that Congress should impeach on the basis that it was simply murder and that war powers are irrelevant?

Just want to take this opportunity to point out Tulsi Gabbard thinks this is true.

“Trump’s actions last night in bombing the Baghdad airport with the targeted killing of Iran’s top military general was an act of war – with no authorization or declaration of war from Congress,” Gabbard said in a video posted to Twitter. “He has put us in a state of war with Iran and seriously escalated this tat for tat conflict, pushing us deeper into an endless quagmire. So the question is: What’s the end goal? What are we trying to achieve here?”

Many fans of her here before, loud and proud, defending her honor vigorously when Hillary implied there was something not legitimate about her, who have since disappeared magically!

Of course Gabbard also voted ‘present’ on impeachment, yet implies this action is unconstitutional without saying Trump should be impeached for it. I guess she should be heading there though, it being a violation of the constitution and all, according to her.

Quite the strange bunch indeed.