Where are all the cows?

Question: is milk like tea, where 10% is local and 90% imported, considered local?

I think I was clear in differentiating what I know mostly for sure is made of powdered milk, the milk “derivatives”. Milk itself… I trust organic, the rest, as HH says, does not go bad, no trustie.

I’d just like to know why the milk from 7-eleven doesn’t go off like the fresh milk in Australia does.

[quote=“Icon”]Question: is milk like tea, where 10% is local and 90% imported, considered local?

I think I was clear in differentiating what I know mostly for sure is made of powdered milk, the milk “derivatives”. Milk itself… I trust organic, the rest, as HH says, does not go bad, no trustie.[/quote]

The milk is either pasteurized or sterilized …

[quote]What is Pasteurization?
Pasteurization is a heat treatment food preservation method that kills a part of the microorganisms present in the food. Therefore, this technique is used for foods that can be stored and further handled under suppressed microbial growth conditions. Owing to the low heat treatment process, the nature of the food would not change; thus it would preserve the nutrient value of the food.
In the pasteurization process, usually a liquid is heated to a specific temperature for a predefined time period followed by immediately cooling step (E.g. 63-66 °C for 30 minutes or 71°C for 15 seconds). This was first invented by a French chemist and microbiologist, Louis Pasteur. This technique was first used to prevent souring of wine and beer, but lately milk was also pasteurized using this technique. Presently, this method is being widely used to extend the shelf life of milk.
The prime objective of pasteurization is to remove or destroy pathogenic bacteria and microorganism, and not to destroy heat resistant spores entirely as the employing temperatures are not very high in the process. It is also targeted to suppress the activity of a particular micro-organism in particular foods. Therefore, it does not give a safe shelf stable product without proper storage at low temperatures.
The second objective is to reduce the enzymatic activities in the product. Pasteurization depends on the heat resistance of the particular microorganism and the heat sensitivity of the product. The two main methods of pasteurization are high-temperature, short-time (HTST) and Low-temperature, long time or Extended Shelf Life treatment (ESL).
What is Sterilization?
Sterilization is another form of thermal processing technique which uses comparatively high temperatures to extend the shelf life by a few months. Since the bacterial spores are far more heat resistant than the vegetative cells, the main objective of this technique is to destroy their spores. Commercial sterilization depends on many factors, including the nature of food, storage conditions of the food following the thermal process, heat resistance of the microorganisms or spores and initial amount of microorganisms present in the food.
Sterilization process can be divided into two main categories. First one is ‘in-container’, which is used for foods, which are placed in containers such as cans, bottles and plastic pouches. Second one is ‘Continuous flow system for ultra high treatment (UTH) processes, which generally involves heating at 140 °C to 150 °C for 1 to 3 seconds.
What is the differences between Pasteurization and Sterilization?
Sterilized products have a long shelf life than pasteurized products.
Generally sterilization involves heating of food between 110° C to 120 ° C temperature ranges while pasteurization involves heating between 70 to 80 °C.
Sterilization technique can destroy both vegetative cells and spores of many microorganisms due to its high temperature treatment, but pasteurization is used to suppress microbial growth and it can destroy only the vegetative cells of many microorganisms and not their spores.
The properties of food can be highly changed with the sterilization process unlike with the pasteurization process.
Due to the low temperatures, pasteurization can be applied for highly heat sensitive foods with high nutrient levels. Sterilization can only be applied for certain foods, which are not very heat resistant.
Unlike in the process of pasteurization, nutrients of food can be easily destroyed in the process of sterilization even though it extends the shelf life of foods.

Read more: differencebetween.com/differ … z3CsWfMZu4[/quote]

Probably because it hasn’t spent as much time being moved in and out of a number of refrigeration units.

Probably because it hasn’t spent as much time being moved in and out of a number of refrigeration units.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s that. The milk in Australia tastes fresh. To me, the milk from 7-eleven tastes more like long-life milk and if I accidentally leave it out of the fridge for a couple of days, even in summer, it still doesn’t smell off. Fresh milk should go off. Edit: Perhaps it is sterilized? That would explain it.

Still, I have no confidence in food or drink products made in Taiwan.

Drug residues in 70% of milk

[quote]Up to 70 percent of milk and dairy products sold in Taiwan contain residues of chemicals and drugs used for livestock animals, which can be harmful to humans, according to an investigative report from the Chinese-language Business Weekly published today. The contaminated products were produced by some of the nation’s leading dairy companies, such as Uni-President, Wei Chuan, Kuang Chuan and Taiwan Bifido.

Chemical residues ranged from antibiotics, plasticizers and anti-depressants to contraceptives, estrogen compounds and other pharmaceuticals.
Business Weekly said it commissioned Chen Liang-yu (陳良宇), a professor of biotechnology at Ming Chuan University in Taipei, to undertake analysis studies of dairy products.
Chen’s analysis presented four major findings:
‧ Antibiotics: All samples were found to contain metabolite of the antibiotic pyrimido Azepine.
‧ Plasticizers: All samples were found to contain the plasticizer dibutyl phthalate. The following had contaminants from two or more plasticizers: Ruisui Brand Chocolate Flavored Milk from Uni-President, Papaya Milk from Wei Chuan, Good Friend Cocoa Milk from Taiwan Bifido and High Quality Pure Milk from Kuang Chuan.
‧ Estrogen and Contraceptives: Ruisui Brand Chocolate Flavored Milk from Uni-President was found to contain tetrachloro-o-benzoquinone, a metabolite of estrogen and contraceptive drugs. Homogenized whole milk from Kuang Chuan contained hydroxy-norgestrel-methyloxime, another metabolite.
‧ Tranquilizers and Anti–Depressants: Good Friend Cocoa Milk from Taiwan Bifido contained clomipramine, a metablite of tranquilizer and anti-depressant drugs. The Dr Milker Whole Milk brand from Uni-President contained dehydroxyl-vincadine, another metabolite from this class of drugs.[/quote]

The ‘High Quality Pure Milk from Kuang Chuan’ contained two or more kinds of plasticizer. How delicious.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Icon”]Question: is milk like tea, where 10% is local and 90% imported, considered local?

I think I was clear in differentiating what I know mostly for sure is made of powdered milk, the milk “derivatives”. Milk itself… I trust organic, the rest, as HH says, does not go bad, no trustie.[/quote]

The milk is either pasteurized or sterilized …

[quote]What is Pasteurization?
Pasteurization is a heat treatment food preservation method that kills a part of the microorganisms present in the food. Therefore, this technique is used for foods that can be stored and further handled under suppressed microbial growth conditions. Owing to the low heat treatment process, the nature of the food would not change; thus it would preserve the nutrient value of the food.
In the pasteurization process, usually a liquid is heated to a specific temperature for a predefined time period followed by immediately cooling step (E.g. 63-66 °C for 30 minutes or 71°C for 15 seconds). This was first invented by a French chemist and microbiologist, Louis Pasteur. This technique was first used to prevent souring of wine and beer, but lately milk was also pasteurized using this technique. Presently, this method is being widely used to extend the shelf life of milk.
The prime objective of pasteurization is to remove or destroy pathogenic bacteria and microorganism, and not to destroy heat resistant spores entirely as the employing temperatures are not very high in the process. It is also targeted to suppress the activity of a particular micro-organism in particular foods. Therefore, it does not give a safe shelf stable product without proper storage at low temperatures.
The second objective is to reduce the enzymatic activities in the product. Pasteurization depends on the heat resistance of the particular microorganism and the heat sensitivity of the product. The two main methods of pasteurization are high-temperature, short-time (HTST) and Low-temperature, long time or Extended Shelf Life treatment (ESL).
What is Sterilization?
Sterilization is another form of thermal processing technique which uses comparatively high temperatures to extend the shelf life by a few months. Since the bacterial spores are far more heat resistant than the vegetative cells, the main objective of this technique is to destroy their spores. Commercial sterilization depends on many factors, including the nature of food, storage conditions of the food following the thermal process, heat resistance of the microorganisms or spores and initial amount of microorganisms present in the food.
Sterilization process can be divided into two main categories. First one is ‘in-container’, which is used for foods, which are placed in containers such as cans, bottles and plastic pouches. Second one is ‘Continuous flow system for ultra high treatment (UTH) processes, which generally involves heating at 140 °C to 150 °C for 1 to 3 seconds.
What is the differences between Pasteurization and Sterilization?
Sterilized products have a long shelf life than pasteurized products.
Generally sterilization involves heating of food between 110° C to 120 ° C temperature ranges while pasteurization involves heating between 70 to 80 °C.
Sterilization technique can destroy both vegetative cells and spores of many microorganisms due to its high temperature treatment, but pasteurization is used to suppress microbial growth and it can destroy only the vegetative cells of many microorganisms and not their spores.
The properties of food can be highly changed with the sterilization process unlike with the pasteurization process.
Due to the low temperatures, pasteurization can be applied for highly heat sensitive foods with high nutrient levels. Sterilization can only be applied for certain foods, which are not very heat resistant.
Unlike in the process of pasteurization, nutrients of food can be easily destroyed in the process of sterilization even though it extends the shelf life of foods.

Read more: differencebetween.com/differ … z3CsWfMZu4[/quote][/quote]

I can tell the difference between UHT and pasteurized milk. But Taiwan’s milk is not UHT nor does it taste like UHT, so how come it can take weeks to go off? I think there are antibiotics in there.
The dairy cows are kept in cramped conditions in a tropical country, I bet you they pump them full of drugs.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]

I can tell the difference between UHT and pasteurized milk. But Taiwan’s milk is not UHT nor does it taste like UHT, so how come it can take weeks to go off? I think there are antibiotics in there.
The dairy cows are kept in cramped conditions in a tropical country, I bet you they pump them full of drugs.[/quote]

It comes from artificial cows … the only real ones are the cows on the images … :smiley: it’s like artificial eggs.

As far as I am aware “agriculture” is exempted (in practice if not on paper) from virtually all laws relating to animal welfare, for no apparent reason.

This is true in pretty much every country, including self-proclaimed “civilised” ones. What goes on in USDA-approved slaughterhouses would give anyone PTSD.

I’ve seen a few dairy farms here and there … housing cows imported from temperate climates, in unsanitary, unpleasant, and inefficient conditions. What makes this even more stupid is that Asian bovines (bubalus spp., which resemble cows) can thrive well if free-ranged in hot climates, and produce milk of excellent quality. Logic and business sense rarely makes any showing in agricultural practice, IMO, nevermind human decency.[/quote]

They should take schoolkids for school tours to the dairies, slaughterhouses and animal farms countrywide, write reports and post that shit on FB! They can dress up the animals in funny clothes, stuff antiobiotic laced cornfeed in their mouths, walk them to the guillotines and do a nice V camera shot just as the head rolls off.

Finish it off with eating the meat, sucking on the 豬血糕 of the animal you just layed to waste.

Perhaps I’m taking this too far or I’m just a little pissed off.

Not really. One of our teachers did something like that. Took us to the factory where they made chips and stuff. I swore off the stuff forever.

My dad used to take me to the dairies back in the ol country. I loved it. But then it was not the mechanized thing you have nowadays. At least, it instills respect for animals and the food collected from them.

My uncle owned a dairy farm with 11 cows. Yes 11 cows, those cows had a relatively good life out in the fields doing their cow thing everyday. We had to walk them in from the fields and they went to their own stalls happily to be milked. When we drank the fresh milk we’d clear off the bits of crap floating on the top first, sure was strong stuff :slight_smile:. The local creamery truck would come every afternoon to collect the milk although by that time they had semi refrigerated tanks rather than the old fashioned milk urns.
Admittedly they also used drugs to treat mastitis but you wouldn’t collect the milk from the cows who were being treated.

Sounds about the same size as my grandpa’s dairy. My olds still have a couple of the milk urns, pressed into service for storing sheep feed.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]You believe those stickers? Well good for you…have some Taiwan olive oil and soya sauce and Taiwan tea while you are at it :slight_smile:.
Take a bit of this, add a bit of that, more profit. GMP certs in Taiwan mean nothing.
The government inspection agency is riddled with corruption and local governments usually have the power to fine and monitor food companies, not national agencies. Do you know what that means in places like Zhanghua, Hualian or Miaoli?
Even if most of the milk is produced in Taiwan from Taiwan cows, how come it doesn’t go off for ages? What are they doing with the stuff?
It is very watery too as somebody who grew up drinking the real deal, they screw around with it a lot that’s for sure.[/quote]

The “High Quality Milk” brand you get in the supermarkets here starts tasting funny after a day outside the fridge and even after a couple days in the fridge for me. What exactly are you drinking?

Some of the tinfoilhattery here is hilarious. Yeah, there’s food safety issues in Taiwan. That can and should be improved. But according to some theories here some 10 million people on this island should have turned into cancer-ridden, three-legged mutants by now.

[quote=“mprey”][quote=“headhonchoII”]You believe those stickers? Well good for you…have some Taiwan olive oil and soya sauce and Taiwan tea while you are at it :slight_smile:.
Take a bit of this, add a bit of that, more profit. GMP certs in Taiwan mean nothing.
The government inspection agency is riddled with corruption and local governments usually have the power to fine and monitor food companies, not national agencies. Do you know what that means in places like Zhanghua, Hualian or Miaoli?
Even if most of the milk is produced in Taiwan from Taiwan cows, how come it doesn’t go off for ages? What are they doing with the stuff?
It is very watery too as somebody who grew up drinking the real deal, they screw around with it a lot that’s for sure.[/quote]

The “High Quality Milk” brand you get in the supermarkets here starts tasting funny after a day outside the fridge and even after a couple days in the fridge for me. What exactly are you drinking?

Some of the tinfoilhattery here is hilarious. Yeah, there’s food safety issues in Taiwan. That can and should be improved. But according to some theories here some 10 million people on this island should have turned into cancer-ridden, three-legged mutants by now.[/quote]
I think HH was comparing it to the milk we would buy in the UK, for instance, which unless UHT etc, would go sour after a few days …even when kept cool.

Yes, and what I am saying is that even when milk from 7-eleven goes off it does so in a different way to the fresh milk in Australia - the stuff from 7-eleven will turn into a thick whitish sludge and the smell, while obviously ‘off’, is nowhere near as strong as Australian milk would produce. Australian milk seems to be more ‘alive’. It tastes fresher. It starts to go off much more easily than Taiwanese milk.

Here is another Australian poster, way back in 2005:

[quote=“frokky”]Hi,

I’ve tried many different brands and types of milk in TW, and being a little lazy sometimes I’ve left a few bottles waaaay past their use by date.

It seems TW milk does not turn into sour chunks like its meant to, and it is what I am used to back in Australia.

This leads me to suspect something not quite right in the TW milk production process.
Do they add anything they’re not meant to like preservatives??

Interested to hear everyone’s ideas.[/quote]

So it’s not just me.

Australia’s food safety is far from perfect but it is light years ahead of Taiwan’s. Taiwanese society is still yet to embrace the idea that laws should be enforced. The recent gutter oil scandal is just the latest in a very, very long list of food safety scandals in Taiwan. Each time there is a scandal it becomes apparent that there was almost no oversight of the supply chain by government agencies. Allowing companies to supply ‘special’ samples for inspection seems standard practice here - that is the culture between business and government, and that’s how trustworthy food labeling is in Taiwan. Taiwanese consumers are only just starting to wake up, hence all the bowing and apologizing on television of late. But still, many companies are claiming not to have known they were sourcing gutter oil.

By comparison:

[quote=“Agriculture and Human Values, 2013, vol. 30, issue 2, pages 235-245”]Retailer-driven agricultural restructuring—Australia, the UK and Norway in comparison
In recent decades, the governance of food safety, food quality, on-farm environmental management and animal welfare has been shifting from the realm of ‘the government’ to that of the private sector. Corporate entities, especially the large supermarkets, have responded to neoliberal forms of governance and the resultant ‘hollowed-out’ state by instituting private standards for food, backed by processes of certification and policed through systems of third party auditing. Today’s food regime is one in which supermarkets impose ‘private standards’ along the food supply chain to ensure compliance with a range of food safety goals—often above and beyond those prescribed by government[/quote]

So, when there is an obvious difference between Australian fresh milk and Taiwanese ‘fresh’ milk it is quite natural for me to be suspicious of the Taiwanese product. It certainly doesn’t taste fresh to me.

There is a dairy farm near Touyaun HSR. You see it on your left in the shuttle bus on the way to the airport.

I noticed the farmer feeding them grass last time.

I stopped drinking milk in 2011, when I thought about how it is designed for baby cows.
I am not a baby cow. Adult cows don’t even drink it.
If a woman was selling her breast milk in the 7-11, I doubt many would buy it. But, milk from an animal…

Are there mega farms in Taiwan where the animals are fed corn which results in Hydrogen sulphate, nitrate, methane, phosphorus and ammonia pollution?

There is a new cancer patient in Taiwan every six minutes.

Thats it then. Maybe instead of breeding cattle for milk and meat (let’s stop eating beef too) . Let’s just encourage female humans to continue milk production and let’s all drink human milk? Has got to be more “correct” then cow milk right? Cuz we aint cows right?

(hearing a collectIve YUCK, right bout now…)

[quote]Cow’s Milk Without the Cows

On September 30, two biohackers received 2 million dollars to develop the world’s first man-made cow’s milk.

By modifying sunflower oil to mimic milk fats and culturing yeast to release casein, Ryan Pandya and Perumal Gandhi are hoping to create a plant-based milk that is nearly identical to dairy.

Their startup, aptly named Muufri (sounds like moo-free), aims to tap into the 140 billion-dollar dairy industry and have animal-free milk on the shelves before 2017.

“We’re basically using biotechnology to make milk without pasteurization and without the risk of contaminants like pesticides, hormones or bacteria that can spoil the milk quickly,” Pandya says. “It’s quite similar to the process to make medicine and insulin, so it will be super sterile.”

Additionally, Muufri milk will have virtually no carbon footprint compared to milk taken from cows. Not only can it take up to 2,000 gallons of fresh water to produce one gallon of cow’s milk, but dairy farms have also been linked to dangerous levels of air pollution. [/quote]

mfablog.org/cows-milk-without-the-cows

[quote=“cake”][quote]Cow’s Milk Without the Cows
On September 30, two biohackers received 2 million dollars to develop the world’s first man-made cow’s milk.
[/quote]

mfablog.org/cows-milk-without-the-cows[/quote]
Nice scam if you can work it.