Where are all the cows?

Oh, to answer OP’s question, they are all running buffets. But they’re not very nice about it.

[quote=“cake”]There is a dairy farm near Touyaun HSR. You see it on your left in the shuttle bus on the way to the airport.

I noticed the farmer feeding them grass last time.

I stopped drinking milk in 2011, when I thought about how it is designed for baby cows.
I am not a baby cow. Adult cows don’t even drink it.
If a woman was selling her breast milk in the 7-11, I doubt many would buy it. But, milk from an animal…

Are there mega farms in Taiwan where the animals are fed corn which results in Hydrogen sulphate, nitrate, methane, phosphorus and ammonia pollution?[/quote]

Hay for animal feed is mostly imported, therefor expensive. A goat farmer near where I lived told me … There are few farms in Taiwan that really have grass and make hay.

A baby cow is called calf … and it gets fortified formula, or not … depending on the country. Some give calves formula with low iron content so the meat stays nicely pink, that’s what most consumers want, but infact the calves are anaemic.

And the fact is that some women actually share their breast milk … well, not at 7-11.

[quote=“tommy525”]Thats it then. Maybe instead of breeding cattle for milk and meat (let’s stop eating beef too) . Let’s just encourage female humans to continue milk production and let’s all drink human milk? Has got to be more “correct” then cow milk right? Cuz we aint cows right?

(hearing a collectIve YUCK, right bout now…)[/quote]

Without meat, fish or even agriculture there wouldn’t be humans anymore (or less) … not enough roots and seeds, wild granes, fruits to feed them.

[quote=“cake”][quote]Cow’s Milk Without the Cows

On September 30, two biohackers received 2 million dollars to develop the world’s first man-made cow’s milk.

By modifying sunflower oil to mimic milk fats and culturing yeast to release casein, Ryan Pandya and Perumal Gandhi are hoping to create a plant-based milk that is nearly identical to dairy.

Their startup, aptly named Muufri (sounds like moo-free), aims to tap into the 140 billion-dollar dairy industry and have animal-free milk on the shelves before 2017.

“We’re basically using biotechnology to make milk without pasteurization and without the risk of contaminants like pesticides, hormones or bacteria that can spoil the milk quickly,” Pandya says. “It’s quite similar to the process to make medicine and insulin, so it will be super sterile.”

Additionally, Muufri milk will have virtually no carbon footprint compared to milk taken from cows. Not only can it take up to 2,000 gallons of fresh water to produce one gallon of cow’s milk, but dairy farms have also been linked to dangerous levels of air pollution. [/quote]

mfablog.org/cows-milk-without-the-cows[/quote]

Why didn’t they start from soy milk? But they’ll never make a good cheese from their concotion, or even yogurt.

[quote=“tommy525”]Thats it then. Maybe instead of breeding cattle for milk and meat (let’s stop eating beef too) . Let’s just encourage female humans to continue milk production and let’s all drink human milk? Has got to be more “correct” then cow milk right? Cuz we aint cows right?

(hearing a collectIve YUCK, right bout now…)[/quote]

Well, there are other options -aside from human milk in your coffee. I had a lovely chart somewhere but can’t find it right now so I will just mention a few:

Soy milk - delicious, nutritious ,eh, also a bit damaging to the environment kind of agriculture, plus estrogen mimicking properties makes it troublesome for some of us.

Almond milk, also awesome, but expensive and not suitable for infants. Also available are cashew, hazelnut and walnut milk.

Coconut milk. Rice milk. Oat milk. Hemp milk ( :roflmao: )

Or milk from other animals, goat in particular is highly nutritious. Buffalo is being explored too. And in Taiwan we still have water buffalos.

Water buffalo (although they are no longer in the water) are farmed and milked to make buffalo mozzarella … the moment mass farming is introduced it all goes the wrong way, no matter what animal or product.

too many people.

Fortunately, the vegans have a solution to this: starve a majority of the population to death. The survivors will have enough non-GMO organic vegetables to live on happily ever after, at least until E.coli from improperly sprouted bean sprouts wipe them out.

Rare prime rib, please. Yes, of course the horseradish sauce.

Subtle, very subtle!

But, yes - too many of us (humans), and too many who want to live like us (the “first world people”).

Have they mastered photon propulsion to get here soon enough?

Fortunately, the vegans have a solution to this: starve a majority of the population to death. The survivors will have enough non-GMO organic vegetables to live on happily ever after, at least until E.coli from improperly sprouted bean sprouts wipe them out.

Rare prime rib, please. Yes, of course the horseradish sauce.[/quote]

How do you figure vegans will starve people to death?

Have you tried eating much of that stuff?

I’d starve soon enough. If there were fewer people, there’d be more than enough prime rib to go around without worrying about methane farts heating the atmosphere and and cow shit polluting the groundwater, and the (matrginal yet tolerable) inefficiencies of turning yukky vegetable matter into yummy animal protein.

And I think the Vegan joke was underplayed, sir.

Well I stumbled upon a milk farm recently. This is my perception having been around farms and milked cows on a proper pastured milk farm for season.

They are not living in beautiful green pastures like the picture on the milk carton.

The cows are in this a covered building with open sides and appears with no access to pastures and maybe never out of the building. The small land nearby is used for crops and not as pasture and has no visible fences for cows. Even if they were able to access the land it’s not large enough to feed animals.
20190220_233651

20190219_131647

20190219_131334

20190219_131257

Never seen a Cow in Taiwan… shame they are kept inside :worried:
I was hoping…

1 Like

I thought I saw some cows in pens in the vicinity of Taoyuan airport. Perhaps I was hallucinating?

Slightly off topic, I know, but does anyone else here use homemade human breast milk soap?

No, but it would be fun to sell it at Huashan or somewhere like that

I think breastmilk soap is something that can be given as a special gift, not as something sold for profit :slight_smile:

It doesn’t actually look much different from ordinary soap. The lather feels a bit more luxuriously silky, but that might be my imagination

I drive by a milk factory everyday…but there are no cows there.

There is a place just northeast of the Taoyuan HSR station that has milk cows. They are not marked on Google Maps, but do have a street view image from inside the factory. Here is a street view shot of their entrance. And a shot of their “pasture.”

Those cows definitely have no pasture. The sun never touches their skin.

It’s so sad to see my brethren in bondage like that. :disappointed_relieved:

I thought you liked bondage…
Screenshot_20190221-123122_Google

1 Like