Where are all the fine men at?

Ladies, any advice on where/how to find cool men in Taipei?

I’ve been here for nearly 2 years and so far haven’t found many men who are my “type”. I tend to like guys who are artistic and passionate about life.

I’ve dated Asian guys in the past and am open to dating Taiwanese guys. But so far all the guys who’ve exhibited any interest have been a little boring. You know, the guys you really want to like, but there just isn’t any electricity. Oh and then there are the ones who already have gf’s but think it would be fun to “try out” a foreigner on the side.

I admit, I need to broaden my social circles. I havn’t gone clubbing or pubbing since I’ve been here. I’m not terribly interested in getting into that scene. But, I think I need to start being more socially proactive if I want to have any success in meeting new men.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know where all the creative types are hanging out?

Oh brother! :unamused:
My understanding is that all the creative horndogs are at Billy’s Bar in Bali’s Kuta Beach.
Ain’t that so? :wink:

That would be Blueface, Wolf.

Funnily enough I’ve just been writing a short story on well not quite Billy’s Bar but,

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Oh brother! :unamused:
My understanding is that all the creative horndogs are at Billy’s Bar in Bali’s Kuta Beach.
Ain’t that so? :wink:[/quote]

I’m not particularly looking for a “horndog” as you put it. And I’d prefer to find a cool guy in Taipei since that’s where I live.

By creative, I just mean guys who are into music, art, whatever. It seems all the Taiwanese men I meet here are engineers who wear glasses and have the same boring haircut. And don’t have any real interest in music aside from singing KTV songs.

Japan is full of young hip and trendy “buck the system” type of guys. I know because I dated one for 3 years. But I haven’t found many guys like this in Taiwan. It’s a real downside to living here! Anyone else having luck in this department?

[quote=“Erhu”]

Japan is full of young hip and trendy “buck the system” type of guys. I know because I dated one for 3 years. But I haven’t found many guys like this in Taiwan. It’s a real downside to living here! Anyone else having luck in this department?[/quote]

I know what you are talking about, but I think it is a different ball game here. However, I am stumped as to why you can’t hook up with a local here. I have seen nothing but Taiwanese and white women this whole week around Taipei.

With all due respect, your dismissal that “It seems all the Taiwanese men I meet here are engineers who wear glasses and have the same boring haircut” seems a little shallow.

yeah like all foreign girls here are fat and ugly…did ya ever hear that one?

A foreign female friend of mine met her absolutely charming, presentable, faithful, hard-working, etc. etc. (add list of Boy Scout virtues) Taiwanese husband in a university orchestra. He’s a violinist, she’s a cellist. Try to join some groups or go to activities where you think the kind of man you would like to meet might be. I doubt that the “deeper” sort hangs around pubs much. Not to say they never go, but what are the odds?

If this isn’t a troll, you might be able to find the sort of men you describe at The Living Room. Dunno.
See here: forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=132507#132507

Ask Corbett to introduce you to his single local studmuffin musician friends.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Oh brother! :unamused:
Ain’t that so? :wink:[/quote]

Absolutely Wolf! :laughing: Now it’s time to head over to Billy’s for a cold Bintang or six.

And just in case anyone is interested, I’ll be having a B&W photo exhibition at the Salim Gallery (on Jalan Laksmana) in Seminayak this March.

Yo! Wanna know the percentage of artists and musicians and writers that were alcoholics and drug addicts? Yeah, like Vincent Van Gogh and Ernest Hemingway never hung around pubs.

Yo! Wanna know the percentage of artists and musicians and writers that were alcoholics and drug addicts? Yeah, like Vincent Van Gogh and Ernest Hemingway never hung around pubs.[/quote]

This is your best post ever, ML. True true true… :laughing:
And Jack Kerouac, Ginsberg, William Burroughs…smack dab next to City Lights
Vesuvio’s, North Beach, San Francisco

Thing about the ‘deeper’ types, they drink too much because they’ve actually thought too deeply about how shit the world is. :smiley:

Yo! Wanna know the percentage of artists and musicians and writers that were alcoholics and drug addicts? Yeah, like Vincent Van Gogh and Ernest Hemingway never hung around pubs.[/quote]

This is your best post ever, ML. True true true… :laughing:
And Jack Kerouac, Ginsberg, William Burroughs…smack dab next to City Lights
Vesuvio’s, North Beach, San Francisco

Thing about the ‘deeper’ types, they drink too much because they’ve actually thought too deeply about how shit the world is. :smiley:[/quote]

Don’t limit creative people to alcoholism. What about Bipolar? A fair share, Kurt Cobain for one, were manic depressives.

I’m cute (just ask Alien!), creative, like art, music, and reading … not into the club scene at all … and I’m not one of those “geeky” types … only problem is, I already have a boyfriend … :? But I’m always happy to make new friends! :smiley:

Those “geeky types” might just surprise you. When I first moved to Hsinchu and starting meeting the engineers here I was amazed on many occasions as to the depth of their knowledge and appreciation of the arts. Maybe they don’t dress so fine, and considering the clothiers in Hsinchu I can see one reason why, but the clothes don’t really make the man do they? And besides, these guys make about twice the money that “creative/art” types like myself make so they can actually afford to take you places.

ever since these civil rights movements in the 60’s women are a lot more unhappy and complain about stupid things…

See that’s the problem LBTW… all of us good-looking, “creative,” deep-thinking types are gay. :slight_smile: Or, at least that’s what I often get told, “What a waste your not straight!” Along with that old line, “All the nice guys are either gay or married.” :laughing:

Of course, in Taiwan many of the types of men Erhu is looking for may be both married and gay. Oh, I’m sorry… they aren’t gay. They are just “metrosexuals” Uh huh… :unamused:

Quiet- “active-volcano”-Mountain wrote…

He’s pretty much right! Unfortunately Taiwanese guys only come in a limited variety: engineer nerd, other nerd, betel-nut slob, gangster slob, big-shot businessman, and homo-interior-decorator. Not much else.
Good luck.

[quote=“almas john”]Quiet- “active-volcano”-Mountain wrote…

He’s pretty much right! Unfortunately Taiwanese guys only come in a limited variety: engineer nerd, other nerd, betel-nut slob, gangster slob, big-shot businessman, and homo-interior-decorator. Not much else.
Good luck.[/quote]

Maybe where you’re from Almas, but you’ve no right to make such a claim.
One always finds a wider variety of types in the big cities. If you feel like labeling and stereotyping, what you said could be reversed about Taiwanese women, but over the years I’ve found it JUST AIN’T SO.

Much much more likely the variety of interesting, motivated and talented foreigners is rather scant…
:x

In fact, AJ, I’m bloody insulted by your comment.

The selection of attractive and smart foreign women here is also a bit thin.

Alien wrote [quote]In fact, AJ, I’m bloody insulted by your comment.[/quote]

It seemed funny to me when I wrote it. However, I dislike the “I was only joking” defense so I won’t use it. Neither will I make any excuse along the lines of having over-imbibed. I’ll just apologize;
Sorry Alien (and anyone else who was offended). :blush: