Where are ceiling fans?

I have never seen one here. They seem perfect for the location and saves floor real estate. Why aren’t they more common? First thought is low ceilings, but many could add a layer to hide cables and such. So, we will add one to our bedroom, but I don’t know why this isn’t a thing. Would love to hear why not.

Standard ceiling height here is about 10 feet, and 8 feet if you add a false ceiling to it. It isn’t really low here.

Ceiling fans do exist here, or rather it was a thing in the past, I don’t know why this is no longer the case.

They do help save energy by making AC’s more efficient.

Like everything else, they come in and out of fashion. At the moment people seem to prefer uncluttered ceilings.

very common…what do you mean?I prefer not using them though. given the heat issues as well as top floor leaking issues in so many buildings. Most houses I have lived in had them.

I read how fans/ceiling fans are supposed to make AC’s more efficient by moving air around… I don’t know.

Here’s what I do notice from use though:

Fans make AC’s run longer because I’m guessing the thermostat is sensing heat from part of the room the AC didn’t cool. That actually ends up using more electricity.

It does however seem to allow you to say set your AC 1 degree higher and have it run longer (but not as long as the current setting), so in that way that can save energy.

However fans are kinda loud, but the loudness does help drown out some ambient noise (loud scooters and street racers) making sleep easier.

End of the day, dehumidification from your AC is going to count a lot more in terms of comfort than temperature… meaning a slightly too small of an AC unit would actually be better in terms of overall comfort as it would not cool as much, but because it’s running longer, it’s more efficient and it’s pulling moisture out. I believe this is what makes inverter AC more efficient as it can reduce its cooling power in order to run longer, and achieve better efficiency.

But back to ceiling fans… I think all it ends up doing is blowing all the hot air up there lower, making the room hotter, and so most don’t want it.

I see them all over. :man_shrugging:

Usually powered off though. :thinking:

And usually in older buildings, now that I think of it, probably a decline in new installations after AC became de rigeur.

(@calitotaiwan over here humble-bragging how he only hangs out in new buildings. :grin: )

Costco. Check the website.

Mom and pop hardware and decoration stores.

just make sure you get the direction correct

fan-infographic