Where are the Hsinchu nightlife hotspots?

Anyone interested in helping us covering events in Hsinchu? Please check our website out and contact us through the e-mail form. Thanks. Wanna try to give as much of Taiwan as possible. Check my signature for details.

Hey all,

I just arrived in Hsinchu to study at the NCTU for the next 6 months. Does anyone have any tips about what are good clubs and bars to go to here?

[quote=“Turi”]Hey all,

I just arrived in Hsinchu to study at the NCTU for the next 6 months. Does anyone have any tips about what are good clubs and bars to go to here?[/quote]

Taipei

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Turi”]Hey all,

I just arrived in Hsinchu to study at the NCTU for the next 6 months. Does anyone have any tips about what are good clubs and bars to go to here?[/quote]

Taipei[/quote]

^ This is true.

[quote=“Turi”]Hey all,

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“Turi”]Hey all,

Welcome to Hsinchu & Forumosa. There’s been a couple of threads about this.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80863
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39679

Hsinchu is boring for nightlife, then again that is true for Taiwan (unless you consider nightlife = night market, in this case go to Taichung on the weekend).

Dont bag Hsinchu- there’s loads of places to go that provide plentiful action. If you like being gang bashed by a blue truck full of Tai Ke bin lang boys, then Hsinchu is loads of fun!

The most exciting thing about Hsinchu are the two or three great beef noodle places and thats it !!

Get on the HSR and get thyself to Taipei or Taichung for any fun. Check into a hotel for the nite . Do that weekly.

I’ve lived here in Hsinchu since arriving in Taiwan 5 years ago. Several years ago there were about a half dozen “western” bars/pubs. They’ve all closed one by one over the years. The only one left is the Flying Pig. Even the Pig and Whistle closed here. Hsinchu has a river walk downtown and that’s about it. The best thing to be said of Hsinchu is that it’s not as expensive as Taipei and there’s still a million jobs for foreigner here. If you want to party go to Jhongli, Taoyuan, Taipei, Taichung.

DaveTW, I think both pigs are closed now. I walked by the Pig something (Wenhua St.) on Sunday night and the placed looked to be in ruins. The barkeep at Simon Pub told me they closed up shop a week ago, but could just be temporary. Is the other Pig (Zhonghua Rd) open?

i just moved to Houlong 2 weeks ago. I think it’s like 30 minutes from Hsinchu. I’ve been going to a place in Miaoli called Suting’s. It’s the closest thing to an American dive bar that I can find. It’s actually not bad. Other than that, I heard everything is in Taipei and Taichung.

The bars wents one by one as the foreign engineers left for China and other climes…it’s sad as you used to be able to have some cracking nights out…strangely enough Miaoli does have more bars…but Taipei is where most of the foreign hangouts are.

Uh? I don’t think that the reason really.
The point is foreigners here have enough money now to go to Taichung or Taipei on weekends :laughing:
During the time I’m here the amount foreigners has steadily grown, also due to many new English schools in the whole Zhubei/Hsinchu area. The thing is Hsinchu isn’t really a place to have a nightlife. Even in Taichung most bars/pubs are dead empty during the week so its not a place to sustain a good business based on booze.

I suppose the majority of university students here (mostly male) really like to leave this town on the weekend.
Taichung on the other hand as three major universities that are non-engineering related filled with young women. :slight_smile:
There’s simply no point in going out in Hsinchu (foreigner or not).

People living in Hsinchu have always gone to Taipei/Taichung for nightlife, the point being is that before there also used to be nightlife in Hsinchu. Over 5-10 years ago there were many foreign engineers in Taiwan, especially Hsinchu area and the economy was better so there was more money around, along with the ubiquitous English teachers, basically it used to be a more buzzing place. The foreigners that used to live in Hsinchu were VERY well off compared to the ones now.

I think this place has never been buzzing for night life (except at work).
There are much much more English teachers in Hsinchu now than 10 years ago (when seeing the stats).
There’s still a great lack of capable engineers here and its still a great place to make money if one brings skills.
And yes, people living in Hsinchu don’t stay in Hsinchu for “night life” (night life = bars, pubs, clubs).
I think this wasn’t different 10 years ago. It hasn’t turned bad or better really. Hsinchu is not a city, its just a place. :slight_smile:

Most of the people I know here are so busy with work and family they have no time or interest in going out at night. Once 9pm rolls around on a Friday night I can hardly keep my eyes open.