Where can I buy a whole turkey

I’m looking to buy a raw whole turkey to cook. Usually I buy it from Costco but they don’t seem to be getting any in this year. Thomas meats website says that there is currently a ban on importing them from the US because of bird flu or something.

I know there are turkey farms in south Taiwan. Does anyone know where they sell their turkeys around the Banqiao area or any that will ship there?

been wondering as well. someone mentioned before but I forgot why we dont see turkey here. even sliced haven’t seen in months.

If you are able to navigate this website, it might be a good place to start.

Try asking the poultry seller at your local (indoor) market. They are usually able to fulfill special orders. Word of warning: they are not too cheap and while they come with the head and feet; the heart, gizzards etc are usually taken out unless you specifically ask for them.

There is a wholesale turkey dealer in Xin Bei Zhong He. I will ask my wife for the number and post later. We will be getting one next week.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you. So far everything I’ve tried has been a dead end.

Here is the information

Phone number (02) 8228-1798
Xin Bei City Zhong He District Jian Kang Road #264
They will deliver if your place is in Taipei City or Xin Bei. Price is 200 per kilo. We bought 9 kilo turkey for 1800 plus 90 for delivery

Hope that information will help you

3 Likes

Price sounds comparable

Thanks for that. I’ll get my wife to call tomorrow morning.

I didn’t have any luck calling here. My wife tried calling and they told her they mainly sell beef stuff, the turkeys they do sell are only for restaurants.

On a side note my wife’s friend also called the ROC Turkey Association in Chiayi, and they said they don’t have any turkeys due to the bird flu in America. I’m guessing they just import frozen ones.

Sorry about that. My wife usually orders several but receives them one at a time. This month we will get one, next month another and following month another. Perhaps if others were to also order with you then they would do it. Yes they are frozen. It takes at least four days to thaw and ready to put in oven.

If you want to PM me I can put you in touch with my wife and she might be able to give you more suggestions

@srs1 thanks for your help and suggestion. I decided it will be easier to just make chicken instead.

For some general information, apparently Taiwan imports the majority of their turkey eggs from America to hatch and raise here. Due to the ban on imports it has affected the Taiwan turkey market. My wife said she saw an article in Chinese that some of the turkey rice places in Chiayi have been using chicken since July because of the shortage.

The Carrefour near me (Miaoli) has good looking whole chickens. Quite large, and I think free-range. They usually have standard product lines, so I would imaging the other Carrefours have them too. I was thinking of getting one to try n a Dutch oven.

Many times I’ve just decided the heck with it and roast a chicken instead. It fits in the oven easier anyway :slight_smile:

Goose! Get a goose.

If your oven is big enough. Keep the goose fat afterwards.

funnily, quite a lot of the shredded turkey spots in Taiwan just use dry chicken breast :wink: not a new thing, just a margins thing.

the last couple years have had similar counterfeit goose meals becoming normal due to prices.

I’ve been buying Turkeys in Taichung from this store since 2010. They’ve moved to a new address now: 台中市建成路500號

2 Likes

I have an update business card for Turkeys in Taichung City.

From Facebook:

Beigang Turkey Chongjia Ranch is located in the agricultural capital of Yunlin County. It is a unified operation of self-production and sales.

Yunlin District: Monday to Sunday, delivered by refrigerated truck.
Chiayi District: Monday to Sunday, delivered by refrigerated truck.
Taichung District: On Tuesday, delivered by our refrigerated truck.

In other areas, we cooperate with Hsinchu Freight from Monday to Friday. Same-day appointments will be delivered before noon the next day. Cash on delivery is used.

Last month we bought a turkey using Shopee. Not sure if they are available now