Where can I buy this T-shirt

■ Hong Kong
Man apologizes for shirt
An expatriate who walked into a restaurant in eastern China wearing a T-shirt listing 10 things Chinese people should not do to foreigners was ordered to issue a public apology, a news report said yesterday. The T-shirt, printed in Chinese, included tips not to stare at foreigners, not to shout “hello” to every foreigner, and not to try to convince them to stay in bad hotels, according to the South China Morning Post. The expatriate, whose nationality was not given, called police because he felt “threatened” by the hostile reaction his T-shirt generated in the restaurant in Nanjing. Police later made him issue a public apology for insulting Chinese people to calm the situation, the newspaper said.

from Taipei Times

[color=red]
I want one!
[/color]

Me too. And the wife wants one as well.

Yeah, me too. I remeber way back in 86 in Beijing when students at the Yu Yan Xue Yuann and other foriegners around town started wering shirts with the characters “Mei You” in bright red on the front. Chinese didn’t get it, I’m still laughing.

Chou

[quote=“chodofu”]Yeah, me too. I remeber way back in 86 in Beijing when students at the Yu Yan Xue Yuann and other foriegners around town started wering shirts with the characters “Mei You” in bright red on the front. Chinese didn’t get it, I’m still laughing.

Chou[/quote]
?? A little translation help for the neophyte(s), please!

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”][quote=“chodofu”]Yeah, me too. I remeber way back in 86 in Beijing when students at the Yu Yan Xue Yuann and other foriegners around town started wering shirts with the characters “Mei You” in bright red on the front. Chinese didn’t get it, I’m still laughing.

Chou[/quote]
?? A little translation help for the neophyte(s), please![/quote]

“Don’t have”. Used to be in China, everytime you go in buy something, shoes, tickets, whatever, you always get the same answer “Mei You”. It wasn’t that they didn’t really have it, they were just too lazy to stand up. The joys of the Communist “iron rice bowl” mentality.

So, maybe this could be a Forumosa.com project. First, we need to compile the appropriate top ten list for foreigners in Taiwan. Post your suggestions to be included in the list… If we get too many, we’ll take a poll to narrow it down.

Here’s one:

Don’t offer your English teacher $30,000US to marry your girlfriend and take her to the US for a Green Card. :unamused:

[quote=“blueface666”]Here’s one:

Don’t offer your English teacher $30,000US to marry your girlfriend and take her to the US for a Green Card. :unamused:[/quote]
…unless the teacher is me.

[quote=“Juba”][quote=“blueface666”]Here’s one:

Don’t offer your English teacher $30,000US to marry your girlfriend and take her to the US for a Green Card. :unamused:[/quote]
…unless the teacher is me.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing:

Try to comply with at least 50% of your contract terms on any given day.

Don’t give your 60 student class the task of “interviewing” a real live foreigner each.

Don’t say “ni ting bu dong” as a reason for ending any logical argument with a Chinese speaking foreigner.

Don’t say “ni chi bu xiguan” every time you see a foreigner eating Western food.

Don’t ask if they can use chopsticks.

Don’t use the word “waiguoren”, they can pick that one out of a totally unrelated conversation at 60 paces.

Don’t let them have ADSL or cell phone service that isn’t prepaid.

Don’t worry about firing them. One foreigner is much like any other.

Boy, ain’t that the truth. I sometimes find myself glaring at people who I think are talking about me when in fact it has nothing to do with me. Maybe I’m just too uptight. :?

Same with “bi-go-lang” (Taiwanese for “American”).

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”][quote=“chodofu”]Yeah, me too. I remeber way back in 86 in Beijing when students at the Yu Yan Xue Yuann and other foriegners around town started wering shirts with the characters “Mei You” in bright red on the front. Chinese didn’t get it, I’m still laughing.

Chou[/quote]
?? A little translation help for the neophyte(s), please![/quote]

remeber = remember
yu yan xue yuann = yu yan xue yuan = (Beijing) language school
wering = wearing
Chinese = commies

As for the rest blueface nailed it. Sorry for the typos :blush:

Chou

Always force a foreigner to eat something he has repeatedly told you he doesn’t like

In the rare event that you hear a foreigner playing music above the sound of your mahjong/television/piano/karaoke/dog barking/children being shouted at, immediately call the police

All foreigners are from the USA. Impress each one you meet by beginning any conversation with the word “American”. (I was once in a taxi with three other people all of Scottish or Irish extraction, and the driver upon being asked where he though we were from replied “You’re all Celts”. Astonishing. At least I think that’s what he said… :laughing: )

I had the templates for a similar shirt made in Vietnamese during my tour there. Never produced it.
Someone ought to jump ahead of the curve and produce their own here. It is easy to do.

= Beijing Yuyan Xueyuan = Beijing Languages Institute. Still called that by everybody, I hear, long after being renamed Beijing Yuyan yu Wenhua Daxue = Beijing Language and Culture University = BLCU.

Most famous graduates: Gubo and Palanka. Less well known: Juba.

I think I remember seeing these types of shirts for sale in Yangshuo and Dali, two popular spots on the “banana pancake” trail through China.

I also saw shirts with Chinese characters that read “lao wai lai le” on the front and “lao wai zou le” or “lao wai qu le” (or something like that, I didn’t examine them too closely).

Though I saw these shirts in many shops, I actually never saw anyone wearing one.

The ubiqitous shirts from the cafes in VietNam–Sihn cafe or something, it’s all hazy–were a different story.

= Beijing Yuyan Xueyuan = Beijing Languages Institute. Still called that by everybody, I hear, long after being renamed Beijing Yuyan yu Wenhua Daxue = Beijing Language and Culture University = BLCU.

Most famous graduates: Gubo and Palanka. Less well known: Juba.[/quote]

Even less well known: Durins Bane

That was a blast from the past.

Now about that HK T-shirt. I want one too.