Where can I find a lead paint test kit in Taipei?

I noticed a fair bit of flaking paint in my new rental apartment that I brilliantly failed to spot before moving in, and I’d like to test whether it contains lead, since I understand lead is not banned here in interior paint.

Ideally I’d use something like this test kit. I found this unbranded one on Shopee, but the complete lack of company branding doesn’t inspire confidence in its reliability, and the Amazon reviews for the same item seem mixed. The label is also entirely in English, and I assume I should be able to find a product made for a local audience. I guess I will go with that one if I have no better option.

A nearby small hardware store understood what I was looking for but said they didn’t have it, and I searched on the website of 特力屋 (only big hardware store I know of here, used variations on search terms like 鉛漆測試套件, 鉛檢查, etc.) and couldn’t find anything.

Anyone here have any experience with testing paint for lead in Taiwan, or otherwise able to suggest any options?

Flaky paint peeling away from the wall is typically referred to here as wall cancer and due to water moisture in the wall. It can be a bugger to deal with but if you bought the property its required by law to disclose. i.e. if they sling on a coat of paint and hope you won’t notice until its to late they are looking for trouble.

Regarding lead in the paint, Ive never heard of that here or heard anyone voice concerns about that. Just sharing my experience, sorry I couldn’t help further.

1 Like

Oh, interesting. In my case it’s a rental apartment, edited to be clear. I hadn’t heard the term “wall cancer,” I guess that’s “壁癌” in Chinese?

Fair enough, and I appreciate the response. I’m not sure how common lead is in interior paint here, but it does seem to be allowed. Perhaps a lack of local concern is reflected in my difficulty finding a test kit!