Where can I find Grenadine in Taipei?

Preferably Monin brand, but anything would be better than nothing.

Thanks.

I’ve seen it at Jason’s (Taipei 101 food court). Don’t know if it was the Monin brand, though.

Jason’s eh? Thanks! I’ll check it out tomorrow…

If you are down by Taida, you can ask the people at Tequila Sunrise. I bet they would know.

Good idea! And I am indeed down by Tai-Da. Am I right in thinking that Tequila Sunrise is on Xin Sheng across from the sports stadium? If so, I could pop in there tomorrow on my way to Jason’s…

Yep. That’s the place. If you think of it, ask if they still sell corn tortillas to go.

As far as I know, you can’t find Rose’s Grenadine for sale in Taiwan, but there is a local brand called Lime’s which can be found at RT Mart, Drinks and other places.

Thanks Chris – but what and where is ‘Drinks’??

Drinks is a chain of liquor stores with many locations throughout Taipei.

drinks.com.tw/english/index.php

I’d imagine grenadine can also be found at Breeze, Jason’s and City Super.

Ah, yes of course – that little barrel logo that I must have subliminally seen thousands of times. Ha! Anyway, thanks for the link. And they have a list of store locations too – hooray!!

City Super doesn’t have grenadine though.

[quote=“JohnEG”]Ah, yes of course – that little barrel logo that I must have subliminally seen thousands of times. Ha! Anyway, thanks for the link. And they have a list of store locations too – hooray!!

City Super doesn’t have grenadine though.[/quote]
Geraldine who??

Ha ha ha.
Some Wellcomes have it, some don’t…worst case, just go into a bar and ask for the name card of their supplier, he’ll sell you a single bottle, G-d knows nobody uses enough of it to be buying it by the case…

Flip Wilsons’ girlfriend?

He daid…he daid.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Flip Wilsons’ girlfriend?

He daid…he daid.[/quote]

THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!!!

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Flip Wilsons’ girlfriend?
He daid…he daid.[/quote]

THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!!![/quote]
Ya just can’t bottle that and sell it!

Some Wellcomes used to sell it – but one by one they sold out and I don’t know any that carry it anymore. Same goes for several other stores.

But never mind because – success!! The GuTing branch of ‘Drinks’ still has it. It’s only Limes brand, but that’ll work for me.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Seems the only grenadine I can find here is Lime’s. But like Rose’s, Lime’s is just sugar syrup, food coloring and citric acid. Don’t know if there’s actually any pomegranate in it.

So, I thought… why not make my own?

You need 100% pomegranate juice and refined sugar.

You can get 100% pomegranate juice at Costco. Or you can extract the juice from pomegranate seeds, if you can find them. You can get refined sugar practically anywhere.

Hot method:
Bring 2 cups of pomegranate juice to a boil, then add 1 cup sugar, stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let cool.

Cold method:
Mix one cup of sugar with one cup pomegranate juice in a bottle. Keep rotating and shaking the bottle until the sugar is dissolved. Add another tablespoon of sugar, and shake until dissolved.

In either case, a little lemon juice can be added for a citrus zing. A little vodka can be added as a preservative. Keep in fridge.

The hot method adds a “cooked” flavor to the grenadine. The grenadine will probably be a brownish red, instead of the bright red of Rose’s or Lime’s or even Monin. If one is using grenadine for sweetness and color rather than adding a pomegranate flavor to a cocktail, one can make some simple syrup and add red food coloring to it.

I made some grenadine using the cold method outlined above, and the results are fantastic! Rich, thick and fruity, but kind of brownish red.

I made a Jack Rose cocktail, and the results are spectacular. (I made it with some Calvados I found at Breeze.)