Where can I study Chinese in the mountains?

I’d like to do a semester in Chinese language studies to bring my Chinese up to scratch before starting a new job in Taiwan later this year. I’m not currently in Taiwan, but I have a Gold Card, so I don’t need to study somewhere that provides a visa. I’d rather do this away from Taipei (so no NCCU, which I know is in the mountains) in somewhere more remote with spectacular views before going back to the big smoke later for work.

Anywhere you can recommend?

2 Likes

DYU

I studied Chinese at Tzu Chi University 慈濟大學 in Hualian. Not exactly in the mountains but at the base, plus close to Taroko and to the beautiful east coast to make studying there very pleasant.

Maybe too pleasant. I planned to study for a year, but after six months I stopped attending classes to spend nearly every day enjoying the scenery in Hualian and Taidong. It was five more months of bliss that I don’t regret at all

8 Likes

Isn’t Sun Yatsen university in Kaoshiung on a hill or something. There is a beach anyway

2 Likes

I saw Chinese culture university in yanmingshan. Does that count as mountain?

4 Likes

That’s what I was going to recommend. It’s half way up the mountain.

Always wondered why you were only Steve 4n Language and never made it to Steve 5n Language. This explains it.

3 Likes

National Chi Nan University near Puli, Sun Moon Lake

1 Like

Definitely a difference between a crowded busy University or school on a hill or mountain and a quiet place to study Chinese in the mountains.

Depends on if you’re just looking for some hills or looking to get away to some remote place to study chinese.

do they have language course?

:point_up: Click on pdf download of list of schools

:point_up: there’s website link inside and email address

:thinking:

4 Likes

One of my ideas and dreams has been to go somewhere like Chingjing for a month.

And study Chinese daily independently with teachers and someone local to have language practice with for three to five or eight or 12 hours a day.

And there are places at lower elevations and also on the East side at bases of mountain areas like along the rift valley maybe.

1 Like

that is two week camp, and I’m not sure if they are doing the program now. they restarted?

Thanks, all, for the replies!

This sounds wonderful and is basically what I want. I kind of just want to relax in the mountains for a couple of months before starting a new job in Taipei, but I want to do something that won’t feel like I’m wasting my time and money.

1 Like

It’s not at all mountains. It’s Hualien flat area. Double dull area nothing around but they have a Starbucks like nearby hahaha

Just typical small town Taiwan busy streets but also they have a highway that runs past so makes it seem more standoffish.

Mountains nearby for sure. Some popular hiking areas. Or can go more hardcore.

If could find a flat with a beautiful view of the mountains then it would be pristine but yeah so I try but not so easy to find difficult to Impossible. Mountain places there are Aboriginal village hills.

1 Like

The Tzu Chi Chinese Language Center is located at the base of some beautiful hills. I used to drive up and around them all the time for relaxation.

From the balcony of my apartment (a normal 套房 at 8,000/month) I had gorgeous views of the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. Maybe I was lucky.

Yep, this is what pulled me away from my studies. And long, leisurely scooter rides down Highway 11 and 9, discovering lots of nature and secluded beaches all to myself. Ah, I miss that place.

3 Likes

How is it for somebody who can’t drive and is reliant on walking, public transport and, if available, bicycle rentals?

This is a beautiful area on the edge of Puli and on the way to Sun Moon Lake IIRC. The town of Puli is nothing special but the plain and mountains are gorgeous.

1 Like

To be honest, in my opinion the best way to enjoy the area is by scooter, allowing you to access many hidden, out-of-the-way places. If you’re a hard core bicyclist then perhaps that’s the way to go.

There are buses, but of course they’ll take you to tourist destinations. I myself think taking the shuttle to Taroko is awesome, but there are many many more beautiful areas other than Taroko. Unfortunately, you really need your own wheels to get the most out of the scenery.

My opinion, of course, and based off my 2013-2014 experience.

2 Likes