Where can I wire money to my US account... on a Saturday?

I was stupid today. I’m leaving Taiwan and went to First Bank to wire my money back home and close my account. Only when I had completed the form did I realize that I’d forgotten my passbook on my couch. They wouldn’t agree to wire it without my passbook, and that puts me in kind of a fix; I leave for Vietnam Sunday night and would rather not be traipsing around SE Asia for a month with NT140,000. Is there any place in Taipei that’ll let me wire it home on a Saturday (or Sunday…)? I can just get it out of the ATM in a couple installments if that’s the case, but no on I’ve talked to knows of a bank or anything that’s open during the weekend. Do you?

And if no one here knows of a place in this city that can do it, maybe someone knows of a place in Ho Chi Minh that will?

Thanks!

Banks are closed on weekends, so you’re out of luck. There’s also a limit on how much currency you can take out of the country.
MAYBE, just MAYBE, they’ll have someplace open at the airport that will let you wire some money.

Your best bet might be to buy travelers’ checks with it, as at least they’re insured against loss.

I’ve had no problems withdrawing money from my Taiwanese account using my ATM card in Thailand. No idea about Vietnam, though.

ATM.

Excuse me,I never used ATM to wire money.
Does it have the limitation?How much can I wire a day?

[quote=“wisher”]Excuse me,I never used ATM to wire money.
Does it have the limitation?How much can I wire a day?[/quote]
I believe in taiwan, the limit is 30,000NT per transaction, and a daily limit of 60k.

So says jdspouse

Thanks!

Another idea is if you got a debit card attached to that account, you can create a paypal account with your US account then paypal it to that account using your debit card. Then just tell paypal to send that money to your account in the US. Or create an empty account with another bank, ATM your money to that account (30k limit per transaction) and wire it over with that other account. You do incur a fee (somewhat big if its about 100K since it works on percentages) if you paypal money to yourself…

Or withdraw your money at ATM and deposit it at another account you created…

Thanks for all the advice! I don’t have a debit card for my account in Taiwan, and I think I’ve elapsed the time required for the 30,000/day ATM wiring thing, so I’m just going to take it all out of an ATM (my bank alluded that I can withdraw 100,000/day…hope that’s true…) and give it all in cold hard cash (gulp) to a friend who can wire it to my US account via hers here.

Now I need to find directions to the Neihu Fedex…

I had problems, even though I specifically went to the bank (E. Sun Bank) before my trip to verify that I could use my card abroad.

[quote=“Tmesis”]Thanks for all the advice! I don’t have a debit card for my account in Taiwan, and I think I’ve elapsed the time required for the 30,000/day ATM wiring thing, so I’m just going to take it all out of an ATM (my bank alluded that I can withdraw 100,000/day…hope that’s true…) and give it all in cold hard cash (gulp) to a friend who can wire it to my US account via hers here.

Now I need to find directions to the Neihu Fedex…[/quote]

You need to do it like Bill Jefferson, put it in the freezer… to call it cold hard cash.

If you don’t trust your friend open another Taiwan account and do the same thing. I would not trust a Taiwanese with this kind of cash unless it is someone you know VERY well.

I trust her. She’s a very reliable sort of person. And although we’re not best buds or anything, we sang “puff the magic dragon” together at KTV last night which’s gotta mean something, right? Besides, if the banks were open enough right now to open an account, I could just transfer money from my existing account and that’d be that.

Hey, how do you get to the UPS station up in Shihlin? Or maybe the Fedex in Neihu? Think I need a new post for this.

The Fed EX is right behind the RT Mart. Not the RT Mart close to Costco, the one down the street.