Where can we hire expats?

Hi forumosa!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Our company (in the travel industry) is looking to hire for several different positions, and we are seeking native-English speakers who may be based in Taiwan. We are a US company with offices in several countries in Asia, so having ARC is not a requirement, but of course a huge plus.

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, so if anyone can give me any suggestions, they would be appreciated.


so, if ARC not required, then your firm has legal work permits set up to be handed out?

Good question.

It will depend on the status and position of the individual applicant. Everyone in our current team based in our Taiwan office has status to work there, so this is somewhat new territory for us.

We are looking into it, but we may hire applicants with US status and have them employed out of our US payroll. However, this might mean visa runs would still be required.

If anyone has any past experience on this kind of arrangement, it would certainly be appreciated as well.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter where they are paid from…if they work in Taiwan, they need a work permit. If you don’t know that about your current employees its a problem.


Very good point. I’m in the US office, so I’m not directly involved in the permitting process for the Taiwan location, but I’ll definitely find out.

That said, this is a job with travel requirements. One of our positions could have people traveling to different Asian destinations; not necessarily in Taiwan.

I’ll take the job.

If you’re serious, PM sent :slight_smile:

here is a good place to start with.

Workforce Development Agency, Ministry of Labor
Foreign Professionals to Work in Taiwan


How about taxes? And National Health Insurance? are you guys paying into the lao abo -retirement? Do you have any kind of insurance for your employees? What if there is an accident/fire/quake? What if an employee is hurt/gets sick in one company travel? Labor disputes are solved where?

For starters, any company based here, should be paying taxes. And no, visa runs cannot be held indefinitely and are not “attractive” in any way. You are depriving the worker from the right to ever having a permanent residence in Taiwan, plus risking a heavy fine to both of you when caught. You could do that before in the good old days but not all computers by NIA and the tax office are linked. Big Brother is watching. And as a foreign company, you are watched especially close.


Yeah if you hire workers here in Taiwan you need to comply with the labour law.
Health insurance is another stickler. Depends on how many hours per week and what kind of contract they are working under.

That said I’m sure we welcome your interest to hire people in Taiwan ! There are plenty of folks who have open working rights too that don’t need a work permit.


PM Sent

Am I missing something? If this post is on the level, why doesn’t “our company” name itself? Why is there no link to their website? Why is there no substantial information about “our company” in the original post?


It seems to be asking where they can hire expats, rather than recruiting applicants.


Which means that they can not work in Taiwan.

1 Like

Noted. But I would think knowing more about their company/business would be part of answering their question.

You and me Mr. Jones ? Wealth of experience and Open Work Permits :ponder:

1 Like

There’s also some Facebook groups that you may find useful, @ungoogle
Here’s one, for example:

1 Like

Wow, this thread definitely blew up more than I expected! Thanks so much for everyone who replied. Good info all around!

Yes, we are primarily seeking information on where to meet expats

I think there may be some misunderstanding. We have a registered office in Taiwan, and our existing team there is employed with compliance to local requirements. Our branch in Taiwan is paying into insurance and social programs.

Our local hires in Taiwan are amazing, but because we also need colleagues with native level language abilities (not just English. French, Spanish, Russian as well) we don’t want to limit ourselves to just people who have Taiwanese registration.

If we hire someone with American citizenship for example, we might bring them on as a 1099 (US contract basis) or as a full time “work from home” employee. This is not preferred (and to be clear, if it turns out this is not legal, we won’t consider it), but if we find people who are well suited and have the abilities for the positions we are trying to fill, we can work with them. We certainly do not intend to force anyone into circumstances which doesn’t make sense for both parties, so it will really depend on the situation for each individual.

I am not condoning visa runs or anything of that nature, just trying to be clear that we are not planning on sponsoring citizenship in Taiwan.

I am deliberately withholding the name of our company since coming here hasn’t been officially sanctioned by our management. This was intended to be more of a research post and to get firsthand feedback from anyone who may have experience living in Taiwan but working for overseas companies, so it’s already been very helpful.

Thanks again to everyone who’s responded (especially @tando & @RickRoll) !

If anyone is interested in more information or has any suggested resources, please send a PM.

EDIT: Errr, oops. It looks like we’ve exceeded the number of PMs we can reply to (3 replies per 3 hours for new accounts?). Sorry to anyone who messaged and hasn’t gotten a reply yet. We’ll be sure to reply back as soon as possible!

do you mean work permit? In that case, you should look for someone with an open work permit or work right.

In most cases, foreigners in Taiwan need work permit or work right to work in taiwan. Contract workers for some categories of work for short duration could work without a work permit.

A Foreigner who is married to a taiwanese citizen has a work right and doesn’t need a work permit.

Foreigners with APRC can have an open work permit, so don’t need to be sponsored their work permit by employers. Part of dual citizens on TARC have their open work permit too.

working holiday visa includes work permit for a limited duration, and many students have part-time open work permit.

To employ other foreigners, companies need to get work permits for them in most, if not all, cases.