Where did the hashbrown on a hamburger originate for the lunar new year?

Curious if anyone knows. McDonald’s has had this combo for years… I’ve seen it now at family Mart too. Is there some history or reason for it?

鼠年。。sounds like 薯

4 Likes

not sure the history but vegetarian places have had potato “hashbrown” style hamburgers for ages. Not too bad actually.

Regular local breakfast shops as well, but they sometimes pair it with meat. Also not bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a gold bar, maybe.
French fries and hash browns, way too much starch .

1 Like

but that’s just the way the Taiwanese diet rolls…

2 Likes

… and a bun!

1 Like

That’s good. I think that must be it

Apparently it’s called the prosperity burger and comes from Singapore. It’s usually double meat, but can be hashbrown. I guess prosperity means double meat

“Prosperity burger”. How quintessentially Chinese. Does it come with a red envelope?

Is that a :tent: hash brown mcRib?

If yes when do they stop selling it?
This is important.

Sorry, it’s not a McRib, it’s beef and has black pepper sauce. It’s just shaped like one.

Cheaper!

1 Like

They could stuff it in a red envelope as marketing gig!

It looks like they do give red envelopes in some countries

I got excited too, but it’s not as good as it looks.

No one noticed that the bun and ‘onion’ is exactly the same on both the ‘prosperity’ things? Even the ‘meat’ is the same except from the color!

its not bad. kinda messy. it came with a hong bao. because i am supposed to give somebody a macdonalds hong bao or what? i put it in the trash.

1 Like

McDonald’s red envelopes are still classier than the gas station ones. Seriously, who uses them?

I’ve always liked hash browns in a burger.

I think one could, rightfully, argue that if a person is chosing to eat out at Mcdonalds (or the average Taiwanese breakfast joint), healthy cuisine isnt amongst their priorities in life…just saying.

Plus starch is the classic Taiwan filler. Just cause the bread here sucks dont mean they cant make a mean colorless mystery “food” just as good as anyone else. A fun past time i like to do with north americans that complain a lot is give them vegan rice and fill it full of fried gluten. Late in the night when we are winding down, reveal their gluten free ritual is kinda flawed.

1 Like