Where do you guys hangout on a Saturday afternoon in HsinChu

Hi,

I just wanted to know where foreigners hangout on a Saturday afternoon? Would like to get to know some people in town.

Take a look at my friends blog.

http://www.thenhbushman.com/

He lives near Hsinchu and always gets up to interesting things. It might give you some ideas - or you can drop him a note in the comments and he’ll probably tell you more.

yeah, we usually find something to do, usually based around cooking outdoors, drinking and playing music (as opposed to chasing women).

it’ll be nice if we could have a party/bbq or something for the foreign community in town
it’ll be nice to get to know new faces.

[quote=“davidtw”]it’ll be nice if we could have a party/bbq or something for the foreign community in town
it’ll be nice to get to know new faces.[/quote]

David, contact me at thenhbushman@gmail.com. i rarely check here for replies.

i honestly have no idea how many foreigners there are in Hsinchu, or who most of them are. the stuff we do in Hukou usually revolves around bloggers because other than the blogs, i have virtually no contact with foreigners in Taiwan, and i use the blog to announce activities. we live in a small town and no one here speaks English even. so if you are looking for an authentic small town experience, this would be a good place. however, if all one wanted to do is to chase women, i recommend the Flying Pig as that place is full of easy ones. that’s not my thing though.

I live in Hsinchu and there’s basically 2 well-known and large (space-wise) foreigner hang-outs in hsinchu…The Pig and Whistle and Flying Pig. Both of them suck now compared to their hey days 2 or 3 years ago. Both used to rock out every night, even weeknights. But now both are just a shell of their former ambiance. The Flying Pig (down by the river, downtown, off the traffic circle) was a rocking place til the western owners were crowded out by the local gangsters, who took over the Flying Pig and transformed it into a coffee-shop type atmosphere. If you like sitting on sofa’s around small candle-lit tables you might like it. The Pig & Whistle is an embarrassment to the P & W granchise chain. It used to sport bands or DJ’s every single day of the week. There was a downstairs for eating and a bar and upstairs was the disco. Then about a year and a half ago, for whatever reason, the management cut out all entertainment, leaving only the downstairs bar. Now its just an afternoon lounge bar for Science Park engineers. I go to Jhongli and Taoyuan to do my clubbing. If you stay out too late there in those towns, hotels aren’t expensive. Just sleep over and take the train back Sunday. Not much in Hsinchu anymore, really.