Where do you let your dog pee?

[quote=“xiaojuan”]
jands, would you by any chance remember what website it was that you and your husband looked at, and how you inquired about certain laws. I found your story and information really helpful, as I’ve been meaning to do something similar. Did you do this all in Chinese or English?[/quote]

My husband translated all the letters into Chinese.

We first contacted the Kaohsiung City Mayor’s office, via their website. The direct link to the email form is here: soweb.kcg.gov.tw/tomayor.aspx?it … 7781635492

On the Chinese website ( kcg.gov.tw/english/ ).

When you file the complaint, get help from a local. It requires them to enter their ID number etc. These emails are treated as official correspondence.

The first letter simply asked if there were any laws prohibiting dogs in pubic parks and to provide information about the law. The email reply was that there were no laws prohibiting dogs in public parks, but that dogs must be on the leash, and they also advised us that if you do not clean up the dog poop you can get a 600 dollar fine.

After this we wrote a second email complaining about what was happening. We then received a reply via snail-mail (because it involved a third party). Kaohsiung City then referred us to the Kaohsiung County Mayor’s office, who then acted as an intermediary between us and our township’s government.

Sucks. I have a 100-pound yellow lab who pretty much pees where he likes. But I’m nice about it and clean up as and when required. The dog is welcome in pretty much my entire neighbourhood. Just saying, is all. By all means get up on your high horse about it if you want – I, of course, don’t give a toss, having found an easy way to deal with the problem.

You are fortunate.

In my community, maybe 10% like dogs and the rest is split between indifferent toward them and hate/fear them.

You write that you are nice about your dog’s pee. In my neighborhood, once he peed, people would grumble, even if you pour water on it or otherwise clean it up.

I pick up my dog’s poo. She pees in any convenient lump of grass. I no longer care about what the neighbors think because it’s clear the mere existence of dogs bothers some of them.

I’ve done everything to keep my neighbours (one couple) happy, but since they reported to the management and other neighbours that they have got fleas from my dogs (the dogs have none, embarrassingly for them), and since they keep complaining to management instead of calling me directly (they have my number), and since I caught them lying (they called in the morning to say my dogs were barking all night because they thought I had stayed out; in fact I had just left very early and was at home where the dogs were silent the entire night) I now have the same attitude: I’m not going to concern myself so much as clearly they won’t be happy no matter what I do. So I no longer put myself out so much to have my dogs inside and sleeping, tired after a long walk, by 11 each night.

Silly them.

Once, as I was picking up my dog’s poo, one neighbor came to complain to me that there will be microscopic poo residue that will infect the children when they play there… That’s when I decided I don’t care anymore…

I have a GR and he is trained to walk properly on a leash, that means that he wont pee unless i “push” him to a corner or a bush. i live in a private community and there are plenty of dogs here, at least other 5 or 6 GR, and most of them are very aggressive, no one has ever complained about my dog… when i walk him outside of the domain i take off the leash so he can run free for a while, bear in mind that its a small mountain road that leads nowhere and has few to no traffic, no houses or buildings or anything similar, just vegetation, trees, bushes, snakes and so on… the point is, when i take off the leash he will pee or poop where ever he can… when i go deep in the mountain i don’t clean at all since its really a jungle there… but when close to the domain or inside i clean only the poop, never the pee… there are a few signs on the domain about dogs, but those are talking about using always a leash… actually few dog owners in my domain will use a leash when they walk the dog, but when the dog is at home, he is tied to a pole by a chain… how rational can that be???..

Usted esta haciendo uso de la logica. :no-no:

Ha! After always having my dogs blamed for the poo outside my old community, I went and got some of my dogs’ poo to show the guard that it’s very different because they eat natural food, not dry food. I don’t know if he bought the argument, but he never brought it up again. :laughing:

Once, when I was walking my dog, a woman ran up to me with a big grin on her face, asking if she could breed her dog with mine (spayed!) - she was happy to pay me! I think that woman wet herself when I responded.

That is on topic, right?

What if he’s right? Do you care?

What if he’s right? Do you care?[/quote]
It’s not a question of “what if?” Of course he’s right. There again, though, it’s why some parents aren’t keen on their kids playing on the ground in the street. I saw two kids in the street just this weekend down in Fenglin – no more than tots – they were playing with a big red juicy wad of recently spat-out betelnut.

Then carry some Lysol and spray it generously afterwards… especially on your neighbors’ plants. I am sure stray cats use them as toilet.

I used to live on the 13th floor in an apartment complex in Kaohsiung. When my dog was still a puppy she had many accidents in the most inconvenient places, usually the elevator.

So, for the first few months I would walk around with a big roll of kitchen tissues, a spray bottle of 95% alcohol, and plastic bags. Our elevator NEVER looked and smelled better, I would clean that floor just about every day.

Same outside, if she pissed inside the community area I would try to throw a tissue under her, and spray the area with alcohol. I did not get too much hassle, but there were always a few locals who would use any excuse to bitch about the foreigner, so simply having a dog meant I was becoming an open target. Luckily the security guards always saw me clean up, and they backed me up the few times the locals complained about my dog and I.

Outside the community I let her piss anywhere she wants, just like all the other pet dogs, stray dogs, and taxi drivers. Never got any hassle for that.

Pooping was easy, my dog only does it on grass (even when she was a puppy), and because I always made/make a big deal out of it (Good shit, Sheba, what a good shit! etc), she will now basically poop on command (Sheba, go shit).

“Shit” is good. There’s a certain person know (who shall remain nameless) who uses the word “business” in an embarrassingly high falsetto.

:sunglasses: Actually, “business” is for pee, and “bingo” is for more productive endeavours. And I now use a deep, sexy, Barry White-esque voice with Gustav. It relaxes him.

Oh, baby - You KNOW you want to go bingo. Thass right baby, turn three times and let it ouuuut… :sunglasses:

Not particularly, because I can’t believe that whatever microscopic dog boo residue might be left behind is any worse than any other pollutant in the environment. Might as well live in a plastic bubble.

Not particularly, because I can’t believe that whatever microscopic dog boo residue might be left behind is any worse than any other pollutant in the environment. Might as well live in a plastic bubble.[/quote]
Or take action to stop people letting their dogs foul areas in which kids play? :idunno:
As I said, I don’t care as its not something that affects me. As a dog-owner and a parent I can see both sides, though. It’s all about harmony. Maybe you like the antagonism? I sure don’t, and I don’t really give a fuck about who’s “right or wrong.” Easy life is my aim.
I do know that once my kid’s old enough to play in our yard, I will certainly not be content with simply picking up the dog’s eggs but will be spraying with disinfectant.

But a certain amount of contact with dirt, including shit and piss, is supposed to be good for children. It strengthens their immune systems. One theory about the huge rise in the number of people with allergies and asthma in the West is that in the last couple of decades people have been too obsessively disinfecting everything, and kids need the exposure to germs to get their immune systems running properly.
So while I would clean up after my dog, I wouldn’t worry about the microscopic shit germs left behind on the grass.

[quote=“bababa”]But a certain amount of contact with dirt, including shit and piss, is supposed to be good for children. It strengthens their immune systems. One theory about the huge rise in the number of people with allergies and asthma in the West is that in the last couple of decades people have been too obsessively disinfecting everything, and kids need the exposure to germs to get their immune systems running properly.
So while I would clean up after my dog, I wouldn’t worry about the microscopic shit germs left behind on the grass.[/quote]

Not always true. be careful with soil in gardens. There can be some seriously nasty bacteria and other micro-organisms in it. Anthrax fro example or this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/2541240/Flesh-eating-bug-almost-killed-me.html

You may think this is rare but then again most people don’t walk around bare footed and if they did then there would be more problems. Flesh eating bacteria in some parts of the world is more common that one may think!

Yeah I agree with building up the immune system but that is of no use if you are a child in Taiwan as your body will be nuked with anti biotics to make it all worthless anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-428234/Flesh-eating-bug-killed-economist-24-hours.html

I read the thread and I have three comments.

1- The plywood over the tires is to protect the rubber from drying out before the thread on the tires actually wear out. Old people who do very little mileage use plywood more often.

2- Maoman is a TOTAL control freak. :neutral:

3- Cleaning up after your dog is necessary given the solid evidence that owning a pet is challenging enough as it is in terms of neighbors relations.

Bingo! :laughing:

marboulette