Where in US did you take your photo for Taiwan passport? (Presuming you are actually American)

The Taiwan passport requires 2 photos. The size is different from the traditional passport photos for U.S. passports. How did you get your photo?

Costco. There is a list of countries they can pick from in their software. If Taiwan is not on it, ask for photos for the UK/Japan/Korea/Singapore, etc. Do follow the requirements here (no smile, mouth closed, ears are shown, etc.):

1 Like

@quandary, thank you very much. I called around and found a UPS that does it. They said they do Taiwan passport photos, but when I showed up the Taiwan size settings were wrong. So thanks to you, I told them to use Singapore settings. Also thank you for pointing out that the ears must show (possibly very clearly). That is not a requirement for U.S. passports and apparently it may be strictly enforced, based on a conversation with a friend.
It turns out that the UPS store uses a smartphone, which distorts.
I ended up going to Walgreens, which cost 50% more, but they used a digital camera. I picked Japan setting because they did not have Taiwan setting.

Taiwan requirement is 45h x 35w. Chin to top of head has to be between 32 and 36 mm.
Japan is same
Singapore is same size but chin to crown is face is 35x25
Korea is same size but face is 35x25
UK is same size but chin to crown is 29 to 34

If you or a tech savvy friend can use photoshop, you can crop a larger photo to the correct amount of head showing, then resize. I did that with US passport photos and China visas a few times. It’s 20 cents to print a 4x6 photo from CVS or Walgreens, so you can sometimes fit 6 ID photos on there and cut them out. Versus the $30 or whatever the USPS charges.

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t have a completely white background, or lighting that would cast no shadows, so it would take some work to make the background white.

I took my in Germany with German specifications. They got accepted in Taiwan without any problems.
Maybe one of the places has settings for that.

at the old AIT there was a photo booth with American specifications for pictures. I don’t know about the new facility, but I imagine that they would have one as well. Best way to find out, write them an email.

There are photo booths in some MRT stations that I’ve used for drivers license and health app photos.

Warning - Japan accepts two sizes, the Taiwan size or the U.S. size. https://www.sf.us.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/e_m03_01_02.html

• Size: 35mm x 45mm (width x height) OR U.S. passport photo size (2in x 2in).
    The area from the top of the head to the chin must be no less than 32 mm, and no more than 36 mm high.

But it seems the face cropping lines will still be useful when you get your photo taken using Japan settings. https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/passport/ic_photo.html Check that they are doing the 45x35 size.

In the U.S. AAA does passport photos ($5 for members, $15 for non-members) but they only do U.S. passport photo size.