Where is the worst place to live?

I reckon it must be Sandman’s house, he leaves his old socks everywhere.

Or Jiayi.

Denial. No one admits it, of course, but…

[quote=“merge”]Denial. No one admits it, of course, but…[/quote]Indeed, The Nile would be a bad place to live. Very wet.

Well, it’s a good place to go when you have failed (i.e. been fired from all the kindies and banned from all the pubs) in the other larger cities of this fine island.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I reckon it must be Sandman’s house, he leaves his old socks everywhere.

Or Jiayi.[/quote]

Hey, I lived and worked there for a year and it’s not so bad. And no, it’s not the “last resort” for failures.

In Taiwan, unlike Korea, living in the smaller cities isn’t so bad - there’s usually a Carrefour and specialty stores, as well as a community of foreigners in near all of them (a few hundred in Chiayi). In Korea, if you leave the big cities, there’s next to no chance of finding western people or food. You spend your weekends commuting to larger cities or you go stir crazy - that doesn’t happen in Taiwan.

And there’s one very good thing about Chiayi: you can’t pick up ICRT on the radio. Thank goodness for that.

[quote=“Sleepyhead”]
And there’s one very good thing about Jiayi: you can’t pick up ICRT on the radio. Thank goodness for that.[/quote]
:roflmao:

We just got a Subway down here!

This has been the best week of my life :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Lo Bo To”][quote=“Sleepyhead”]
And there’s one very good thing about Jiayi: you can’t pick up ICRT on the radio. Thank goodness for that.[/quote]

This has been the best week of my life :p[/quote]Nice. Must make a change from eating turkey rice every day. :wink:

1. Maryhill
  2. Levenshulme
  3. Chon Buri

[quote=“Lo Bo To”][quote=“Sleepyhead”]

This has been the best week of my life :p[/quote]

Subway? No thanks. I stopped going to them after the last time when I got food poisoning from their sliced meat. Had they gotten a Burger King (your tastes may vary) I might have stayed. I suppose you hit the Eagle and Calgary Pubs regularly?

Back to ICRT, I’m glad you find that funny - no doubt because it’s true. Radio was one of the few things that was better in Korea than in Taiwan (baseball is another). They had a classical music FM station (they played too much opera, but otherwise…), and as lousy as the US military broadcasts are (AFN TV & radio), after 8PM in the evenings they retransmitted a hard rock radio station from Los Angeles, Z-Rock.

Too bad none of the pirate radio stations in Taiwan broadcast in English. Strangely, pirate radio (read: small radio) is legal here, but the startup and license costs are ludicrous.

[quote=“Sleepyhead”

Too bad none of the pirate radio stations in Taiwan broadcast in English. Strangely, pirate radio (read: small radio) is legal here, but the startup and license costs are ludicrous.[/quote]

If you purchase a license to broadcast then thats hardly pirate. So what you’re saying is that it’s strange how small radio stations are allowed to operate? Isn’t ICRT a small radio station?

They are most certainly not legal, there are a bunch in the south of Taiwan transmitting locally. Methinks you need to get more familiar with what the meaning of pirate.

My wife used to live in Shichih, years ago, but after two terrible monsoons that flooded the place in mud she gladly packed her bags and left that dump. She thought she learned a lesson from the first storm, so the second time she parked her car high on a hill, but it still got completely submerged, while her apartment building received mud a foot thick all the way through the lobby and the power was shut off to it for a couple weeks afterwards.

I work in my company’s beautiful HQ, in Neihu, but we’ve got an ancient, rundown facility in ChungHo and I get depressed every time I’m forced to visit the place. What a dump that city is. I once turned down a good job because it would have meant working there daily.

I always thought it was Yonghe - that was until I move to Luzhou.

[quote=“Buttercup”]1. Maryhill
2. Levenshulme
3. Chon Buri[/quote]

I tended bar in an Irish pub on Stockport Road that was owned by a family friend one summer while on a European trip. There were fights with beer bottles every night over football matches,the girls were foulmouthed and frequently urinated in public places, and I almost got in a few fights with patrons. When they said to “take one” I assumed they meant they were buying me a pint (not a 10/20 pence tip). :laughing:

Great fun to visit if you like seedy environments. I also learned that Northern English don’t like “mother jokes” as much as North American people do. :laughing: :smiley:

Old topic, but is Luzhou really that bad? I’m thinking of moving here - http://www.hopecity.com.tw/. Currently in K-town and it seems better than my current location.