Where should I get rid of broken computer parts?

I have a dead motherboard.

Should I just give it to the recycling-car garbage men? Will they recycle it?
Is there a place in Taipei (Like a bin somewhere in Guanghua market) where I can just deposit it?
Should I do anything else with it?

Thanks

I’ll take it.

3 Likes

I offered you an old computer and you ignored me.

On topic though, if there’s a recycle yard near you they’ll pay for it. It’s not much though…

I think that’s fine. I’ve done that with monitors etc. before - just need to give it to the guys separately. I’ve read of some items only being accepted on certain days in some areas, but the guys in my area just seem to accept everything anytime.

I have yet another monitor that stopped working recently, and I was also wondering if there was some place at Guanghua that accepts stuff like this for spare parts.

What are they called in Chinese? I guess it’s really not much, maybe NT$100 or something? Or even less?

1 Like

回收場

That’s where you can take metal and such and they pay you for it. Steel is only 10nt per kg, aluminum can be around 20s, copper I believe is in the 40 ish nt range.

The problem is every yard has their own rules about what they’ll take, and you have to go there and see. It can suck because you can haul a load of stuff there only to be told they won’t take it.

But metal is pretty much guaranteed.

2 Likes

Oh, there is actually one pretty close to me. Thanks.

Though it’s further away than the recycling trucks, and less convenient hours…

Recycling trucks won’t pay you for the stuff.

You got a fairly big ac condensing unit for example that’s busted, you’ll get like 1500nt for it.

Recycling trucks will take it and pay you nothing.

Yeah, sure, but I’m talking about an old monitor or two not an AC unit, and from what you wrote it wouldn’t be worthwhile lugging stuff there to get a negligible amount of money.

Yea, it’s great if you got some heavier busted thing, like ac condenser units. If you want the money don’t let the installer take it.

Another problem is those yards often have weird rules. One near my old place won’t even let anyone in who isn’t driving in a vehicle for example.

Some will take plastics, some won’t.

Quite honestly if you’re not cash strapped id just leave it outside, someone will take it.

I get lots of PMs and I’m occupied with life’s demands. I’ve been to four countries in December alone for various things and reasons. If you haven’t noticed, I don’t really post either. People PM me with personal requests for shit I post publicly and I don’t have time to reply to anyone. Someone right now is atting me in another thread and I don’t want to read the 25 replies that precede it. I haven’t even read half the PMs I’ve received. I want to reply to @HongKonger in another thread cause I think he’s wrong about something, but even then I’m just like… I got too much shit goin on to sit down for hours in front of the keyboard.

The next four months alone are a shitshow. It never ends.

Well…hopefully it will end with a green passport in hand.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that a lot.

2 Likes

I’ll get to it one day. :grin:

Right now I am just modding behind the scenes.

1 Like

Careful you don’t end up with the red one…

I have a red one already.

Prc passport is red.

My passport is also red.

What use is a dead motherboard except for … soldering practice?

You never know. I dont know what’s wrong. I don’t know what it has.

Maybe it has parts i need. Maybe it is repairable.

But I do know that taking it is zero risk. At worst, it is fodder for my hobbies.

For parts or repair is exactly what it means.

Possibly reverse engineer parts of the board to help others repair theirs.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a dead north or south bridge that the motherboard could have donor parts for, and of course good luck obtaining those on their own.

But I doubt even Marco has the equipment to deal with BGA chips.

I mean, you can also not assume what I have and don’t have.