Where to buy a mandolin?

I am thinking about buying a mandolin while in Taipei and was wondering if anybody knew where to buy one? I have seen guitar and ukulele shops, but never mandolins.

Have you tried the usual big guitar shops like galaxy music (é‡‘čžžčŸ»ļ¼‰or Tonyā€™s music ļ¼ˆé˜æ通ä¼Æļ¼‰?

I did a neck reset on a mandolin so Iā€™m sure they exist.

1 Like

I checked their websites and didnā€™t see anything but I havenā€™t gone into the stores yet. Iā€™ll give them a try, thank you.

Taiwanese companies are notorious for not listing everything on their website. You have to go to their store and see if they have them.

What is your budget? If you are looking for a high end mandolin you may have to order it from the states. Though you will have to play some tricks to avoid taxes because it seems in Taiwan they tax luthier stuff (parts and such) differently than complete instruments (hint: instruments are taxed higher).

Maybe get it sent to your family, then remove parts like tuners, tailpiece, etc. and call it guitar parts (and remove all evidence that it was purchased new).

I never seen anyone play mandolins however and the person I fixed it for heā€™s an expat too.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I was looking for something on the cheaper side because I donā€™t have much experience, so I donā€™t think ordering from the states is necessary luckily.

Reminded me of this :innocent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgOwX72fLI

yea, that could be a little hard because like I said, mandolins arenā€™t that popular in the states itā€™s even less popular here too.

They have a lot of traditional Chinese instruments that look like guitars (like pipa) howeverā€¦

There is this guy: https://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21307291676048

However I will warn you, DO NOT buy any of their solid (non plywood) instruments because they are literally made in a sweatshop in Vietnam and they have ZERO concept of humidity control, meaning the wood they use are basically green (as in not dried and seasoned at all) and will have all kinds of nasty things happen to it once it is taken into a dry climate (as in humidity less than 50%). Even though their prices are pretty much ā€œtoo good to be trueā€, because it is.

1 Like

@Taiwan_Luthiers I play 5 string banjo. I imported mine. Do you know how to put in railroad spikes etc? I wonā€™t try anywhere local with my 5 stringed one. I might get a capo too although I donā€™t sing so I tend to stay in the key of G.

To the original poster there are mandolins here , Iā€™ve occasionally met locals who play them. You could just import one from EBay though.

Pretty sure Tonyā€™s has a mandolin or two.

I just looked up railroad spikes. It looks like a stud of some kind between the frets on the high G string. And from the pictures it looks like it acts as some kind of a ā€œcapoā€ for only that one string. If thatā€™s the case I can install it pretty easily. Itā€™s a nonstandard modification job because I have never seen a banjo in my shop. Iā€™ll need a small (as in tiny) drill bit, and a dremel type tool. I will get an air pencil grinder because I like those better than a Dremel and the shop next to me is willing to let me use his air source (he has a 7HP silent compressor for his CNC machines). It may be a few weeks before he gets his equipment in however.

Do you have the railroad spikes? If so I will do it for the cost of a setup plus 500nt. If not I can order it for you.

I have a one ton Bridgeport type milling machine. It allows me to, among other things to make a hole VERY precisely with the right accessories. How precise? About 5 microns. Thatā€™s about 1/20th the width of your hairā€¦ However it doesnā€™t seem like railroad spikes have to be precisely locatedā€¦

1 Like

Thank you. There is no rush as I canā€™t come over for a month anyway , but yeah Iā€™ll bring it over. It is just as you described and Iā€™m not fool hardy enough to try this myself. Iā€™d almost cry if I messed that up and I know I would probably damage it. It is not a really expensive Banjo but it is made in USA and was an effort to get it here. I just originally presumed there would be places to get this done but there isnā€™t. I even have to import strings which is fine as luckily they are light. Iā€™ll be in touch after about a month. Thank you. Are you in Taipei ?

Iā€™m located in New Taipei City, Xingjhuan district.

website is www.typhoon-guitars.com (itā€™s still kinda under construction)

The concern is a normal Taiwanese would just hammer it in, which I guess could be done if the wood were say maple. But ebony is quite brittle and if you just hammer it in you may crack itā€¦ A lot of Taiwanese (outside of idol carvers) never worked with ebony type woods and so they donā€™t really take care.

1 Like