Where to buy a used motorcycle?

Hi folks, first post and I’m sorry but it’s probably something you’ve already been asked a million times.
Is there anywhere online that’s good to do some browsing before getting out and buying a bike? And once I’ve done that research, where’s the best place togo and buy one? Looking at spending no more than 70-80k ntd and would like a full manual bike… Happy for a smaller capacity but over 200cc would be nice, and something I can happily trip around on. (currently own a nearly new cb500x in Australia but it will cost 10k us to import).
Also any tips on how to import and avoid any of the costs? I know it’s a long shot but I just can’t believe it will cost 10k USD to import a bike worth 6k USD if that.
Thanks,

Tim

First, you need a special license for a bike bigger than 250cc, so keep that in mind.
Best place to buy is to drive around, there are hundreds of scooter shops, many sell manual bikes, but the vast majority only sell scooters. So drive around and see if you can spot a bike on the floor. You can also try to search on local sites, like ruten, or yahoo.com.tw. Use google translate to type your search query. Good luck!

[quote=“Timent87”]Hi folks, first post and I’m sorry but it’s probably something you’ve already been asked a million times.
Is there anywhere online that’s good to do some browsing before getting out and buying a bike? And once I’ve done that research, where’s the best place togo and buy one? Looking at spending no more than 70-80k ntd and would like a full manual bike… Happy for a smaller capacity but over 200cc would be nice, and something I can happily trip around on. (currently own a nearly new cb500x in Australia but it will cost 10k us to import).
Also any tips on how to import and avoid any of the costs? I know it’s a long shot but I just can’t believe it will cost 10k USD to import a bike worth 6k USD if that.
Thanks,

Tim[/quote]

I think you need to do your research a lot more. Taiwan is a unique place for motorcycles because of all the regulations/rules and taxes on imports of big bikes. You really can’t find much in your price range that is pver 200cc except for the CPI SM250cc or possibly a Harford 200cc. You aren’t allowed to ride a big bike (251cc plus) until you hold a 250cc or under (white plate) motorcycle for a year. Then after a year you can get your bike bike license. Anything 250cc and smaller can only be ridden on the surface streets here. If you have a bike bike license (251cc +) which are yellow and red license plates you are allowed to ride on the elevated expressways, but NOT the freeways.

With your price range you really won’t find much. Bikes aren’t too cheap here unless they are older and 150cc. The new Yamaha R3 (320cc) sells for 240,000nt. My friend just bought a brand new Suzuki GSXR and he paid around 650,000nt for it I think. Anything that is over 400cc is usually pretty expensive unless it is 10 years old. You can find some older Kawasaki Ninjas or Yamahas for around 200,000nt. So anything in your price range is going to be extremely difficult to find something over 200cc.

Do not import your CB500x over hear. It will be the biggest nightmare of your life and you will get ripped off.

I think a lot of people guy bikes nowadays off of Facebook. Here are two groups that will help you start looking for something. Keep in mind that you need an ARC to legally purchase any kind of vehicle here in Taiwan. Here are two foreigner motorcycle buy and sell groups. This will get you started so you can at least sell what others are selling their smaller cc motorcycles for.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/629231123877275/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Taipeisecondhandscooter/

I do apologise, I was under the impression that asking people who have more knowledge on the subject than I do might have classified as ‘doing some research’. Thanks for the information though it was very helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

It’s just that this question has been asked a million times and doing a simple search first on Google or even searching this site could have been useful…anyway, we are happy you got your answers. :slight_smile: