Where to buy buckwheat flour in Taipei?

Hi guys!

I live in Yonghe and I’m looking for buckwheat flour to make my own soba noodles and crêpes. I couldn’t find any information about where to buy buckwheat flour in Taiwan, whether at a physical store or online.

If you have any information about that please let me know! :slight_smile:

I saw some Japanese buckwheat flour in City Super in Hsinchu. May even have been two choices, if I recall correctly.

Check an upscale grocery store near you. I know it’s around.

I think I saw a variety of imported flour at Jason’s in 101 once. Do they have an online store? I think you can search Carrefour online also. Could try Ruten also. They have stuff like this:

2 Likes

I can’t find it on the websites for Leezen (里仁) or Carrefour, but who knows how much their websites correlate with what they actually stock.

I know I’ve seen the Dr. Oko brand in Jason’s and/or City Super, but I don’t know if I’ve seen specifically buckwheat flour. You’ll need to make sure you look in both the regular flours section and the organic section; maybe also a Japanese products section?

You can also try Santa Cruz, another of the main organic / health food chains. They’ve got two Yonghe branches, and I believe I’ve seen them stock the Dr. Oko brand:

新北市永和區福和路164號

新北市永和區中正路176號

Or, as I say so often in response to these kinds of questions, you can order from iHerb. (Seriously, it’s what I do with so much stuff now, rather than spend a day going from store to store all around Taipei.)

Dr Oko lists it but of stock at the moment

http://www.droko.com/motion.asp?siteid=100530&lgid=1&menuid=5053&prodid=107809&cat=10280

Pcstore seems to have it

http://www.pcstore.com.tw/berio/M00868594.htm

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my question. :grinning:

I’ll make sure to check each of these options. I’m going to buy buckwheat flour on a regular basis so I will let you know how it goes and what is the best option for me.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Just curious, what will you use your buckwheat flour for? Buckwheat pancakes? Homemade soba noodles?

@schwarzwald I make homemade soba noodles (got inspired by this video: https://youtu.be/7wj3BzloJJ0), it’s very easy and the noodles are delicious. You just need a bit of practice (I succeded the third time). I also often make buckwheat crêpes (French pancakes) for breakfast and spread brown sugar or chocolate spread on it (also works with honey, mapple syrup, peanut butter…). You can also use the crêpes as a burrito base and fill them with salty ingredients like for burritos.

I love buckwheat flour because it is so easy to work with and you don’t need a lot of ingredients. It’s also high in protein and other good stuff, and it’s gluten free! For the soba noodles, all you need is some buckwheat flour and some water (and if you have the ustencils the guy’s got in the video it’s nice too haha, but I’ve done it without before)!. For the crêpes: some buckwheat flour, some water, and one egg. You add some flour to a bowl, make a little well in the middle, add the egg and start mixing with a whisk, adding water at the same time, little by little. Until you get a crêpe batter consistancy (a bit more liquid than pancake batter). Then you make the crêpes the French way using a fry pan and a little bit of olive oil. Quick and simple!

I also used to grow buckwheat using the natural farming way when an old farmer in Kaohsiung let me use a little piece of his land before. Buckwheat is a great crop as it fixes nitrogen in the soil and easily grows in poor soils. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great tasty and nutritious ideas, thanks! I mainly use the kernels, as an alternative to brown rice. Cook them two minutes in the pressure cooker, then let it sit for 20 minutes.

Never tried this before, I’ll make sure I try using the kernels this way soon, Thanks!

That’s great. Do you know if the buckwheat is roasted before ground? My landlord hooked me up with some buckwheat flour and it didn’t taste the same. When I see whole buckwheat being sold here it is much lighter in color which makes me think it’s not roasted.

I seem to remember that they sell two kinds of buckwheat flour here, dark and light. Here is an explanation of the difference

1 Like

Buckwheat is dead and I don’t think they are selling his flour anymore.

Thanks!

Sorry for replying so late! Yeah usually it is a matter of if they grinded the seeds with the chaff still on it or not. :slight_smile: I like to use whole buckwheat flour whenever it is available, more nutritious!

1 Like