Where to buy flatbread for Middle Eastern shawarma?

Hello, there!

I’ve been searching for a flatbread to make shawarma at home, but failed to find big enough. The one I bought is very small and is more suitable for Mexican quesadillas (couldn’t even make burritos😅)

Any ideas where to get 25-30 cm in diameter?

Florida Bakery does have 10” and 12” flour tortillas on their website. I don’t recall ever seeing them in stores.

Oh, you’ve got to order a case of them … 144 shawarmas?

2 Likes

All the night market guys making them just make their own on an upside wok over a burner. Pretty quick and easy if compared to the meat prep.

Store bought wheat “tortilla” are available here. Recently our stores of preferrence only have 10" now. They used to have 12" (30cm). But they are also not the best tasting, much like what we used to buy in usa/canada.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I didn’t know they have bigger size

What is the name of your store?:thinking:

Not their stores. Just their recommendation.

2 Likes

Sorry hehe. not my store, i dont own stores :slight_smile: I meant the stores i shop at regularly. next time i am in the city (will go tothat city again in a couple weeks) will take some pics of both tortillas and the stores’ business card. Though i often buy t he same ones throughout thesouth in grocery stores. More the ones locals call “food supply” rather than say Carrefour px mart type stores. But their freezers often now have them.

I will bastardize this pinyin, forgiveness please. Mo Xi Ge (mexican) Bin Pi. Wife isnt here to help me write the mandarin, and google aint being my friend on this one. But they are somewhat common now. Not amazing, but they get the job done.

1 Like