Where to buy spicy peppers in Taipei?

I want to buy different kinds of peppers to make some homemade fermented hot sauce. I have seen chili peppers in some day markets but I would love to know if there are places I could buy habaneros or other varieties in fairly large quantities. If you know of any around Taipei, please tell me!

have you tried asking fruit and veggie stores, I order things like basil to make pesto.

“Order”?? Are you serious??
I’ve never seen a single wet market OR supermarket that doesn’t have copious bunches of basil sitting right there.

While we’re up, I’ve never seen or heard of a “chef” in Taipei who gave a monkey’s if customers put soy sauce on their rice, or motor oil, or baby poop for that matter.

Maybe you should go nuts, give the driver the night off and go out to where actual people are.

Just sayin.

Smaller supermarkets don’t always have it. Wet market takes me to go during the day. If I know I want to make a lot of pesto to can I will order it and make sure I have what I need.

The last time I was at Taipei’s Dongmen morning market, they had jalapenos and habaneros.

1 Like

Also the BinJian market, also need to go before noon. On MinZu East rd.

A little confusing as the wife calls it BinJian market, which the maps shows as a street market, but we usually go to the building just in front of the fish market. Huge market, I go there to get Thai aubergines, but it has everything from fennel to dill to you name it, lots of varieties of chili.

1 Like

Italian basil (羅勒) or local basil (九層塔, pretty similar to Thai basil)? I see the local basil everywhere, yeah, but Italian is a little tougher to find. I usually get plants for that from the Jianguo Flower Market.

Jalapeños showed up in Wellcome and Jasons for perhaps three months, a year or two back. Then they disappeared again.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses! I will have to try those two markets.