Where to find good cheese?

[quote=“digiboy”]Cheese?

Like what I would find in a deli back home…or am I asking too much?[/quote]

Costco, otherwise it is awfully expensive… unless you have a big budget.

Deli? Like home? Close but no cigar…

What the heck, I’ll follow up: does anywhere have blocks of Provolone?

I know that if I’m being foolish with money I can get really expensive pre-sliced packets (Land of the Lakes, around 290NT for 10 slices) at City Super… but I’d much rather get a block of the stuff.

For everyday eating I’m pretty happy with the blocks of cheddar et al from American Heritage or Cheddar Masters (New Zealand), available at Carrefour as well as the places I listed above; their blocks are around 170NTD for 225-250 grams. Not cheap, although to be honest when I go back to Canada I’m always reminded that groceries there aren’t as cheap as I imagine them to be. But more “exotic” cheeses like feta (ha!) are a bit of a luxury here in Taiwan. (I only see feta/ fetta regularly at City Super, but I don’t go to Costco at all.)

And just what are the prices at Costco?

Costco.

Actually, make that sliced Provolone.

Let’s just say you get a big block of cheese for what in Breeze/City Super you get a handful. Or what you can eat in a month against less than a week.

From another thread:

Does anybody know where and if I can find Manchego cheese in Taiwan, specifically in Taipei? I’m also open to other goat/sheep milk cheese.

I’ve seen a lot of goat-milk products here in Taiwan, like candies, but I haven’t found any cured goat cheese :confused:

曼切戈起司 or 曼契克戈綿羊乳酪 is the Chinese name

A place in Bali has it.

2 Likes

I think I’ve seen Manchego cheese at Costco, and I’ve definitely bought another soft goat cheese there (tasted fine to me, but hard to finish 600 grams of it in 2 weeks or whatever it usually is before the expiry date).

2 Likes

Not recently. AFAIK they haven’t had it in at least six months. They did have it last year for a while.

Fair enough. I thought I’d seen it at the Zhonghe branch more recently, but I also haven’t really looked. These days I mostly just go to the cheese refrigerator to stand there wistfully for several minutes and think about when I used to be able to buy cheddar. :cry:

1 Like