Where to stay / What to do in Yilan City

Spending 1-2 nights here starting tomorrow on the way up to Juifeng then Taipei. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

The area around the train station in Ilan is cool. Good use of old warehousing for contemporary art and leisure space.

Big nightmarket nearby.

The traditional arts centre in Luodong is worth a visit. You may want to take a river boat from there to the sports park.

There are bike paths along the ocean. Jiaoshi is nearby for hot springs and some hikes.

Thank you! I think I will just hop off the train at Yilan station and try to find something around the city center. The rest of the area seems quite spread out for only a short visit and no personal transport. And I will certainly hit the night market.

Is there a place to rent scooters in Ilan?

Is that the place that used to be a sugar processing factory or something?

Of course. It’s a 'wan city, ergo, there are scooter rentals near the TRA station.
Except for Taidong, since the train station there is “in Siberia”.

There are scooters to rent, but you can’t always rely on being able to rent them anymore without a taiwan license.

Don’t think the trad art centre was a sugar factory. You may be thinking of Dulan in Taitung that has a vibrant art and music scene.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]There are scooters to rent, but you can’t always rely on being able to rent them anymore without a taiwan license.

Don’t think the trad art centre was a sugar factory. You may be thinking of Dulan in Taitung that has a vibrant art and music scene.[/quote]

Nope, same place. I asked my wife- it used to be a brick factory. Which is sort of like a sugar refinery, I guess. Maybe not so much.

I will remember that (wife mandated, with no option for refusal) part of my Ilan trip forever because:
a) It was a traditional arts center, and
b) It didn’t suck.

So yeah, to the OP: go see that.

if you’re with that special someone the Tairyo house is worth looking at. Great little hotspring B&B with excellent fresh seafood dinner. The wife and i loved it.

Check out www,tairyo.com.tw for more details

Of course. It’s a 'wan city, ergo, there are scooter rentals near the TRA station.
Except for Taidong, since the train station there is “in Siberia”.[/quote]

Haha, too true! It’s the ‘New’ Taidong train station.

Just found this: hostel in Ilan. NT600 a night with IYH card.

yh.org.tw/hostel/list_1.ASP?id=N0007

Btw, the tourism board has told me that they are trying to get another 20 hostels set up this year around Taiwan to bring the total to 50. Good news.