Wherefore hath the hotmail gods forsaken me?

I cannot open up one of my hotmail accounts because each time I try, it crashes. My other accounts work perfectly fine, but the one I actually need right now keeps crashing. Any ideas why just this one account is having trouble and not any of my other ones?

Same thing’s happening to me… :s

I couldn’t open mine earlier today but it’s working now.

Shouldn’t that say “Whyfore”? :laughing:

Happened to me last month. I couldn’t access my hotmail for about a week. Cursing, I turned to my gmail account but turned out hotmail was just changing my storage from 2MB to 250MB. They will explain it all in an email to you later. Perhaps that’s what’s going on.

Maybe Bill got word you’ve opened multiple accts and has set His fury on you. :astonished:

Or it could be computers directed by someone using the authority granted under the Patriot Act have pinpointed your location and are highly suspicious of an American abroad with multiple e-mail accts. They could be in cahoots with Bill… :astonished: :astonished:

I thought most accts had been upgraded, but it seems not. Mine was bumped to 250 MB months ago, but a friend is stuck at 2 MB. :frowning:

Hotmail has always been funky, but at least the amt of spam has dropped, and the servers are infinitely better than they were a few years ago. Hang in there, Uncle Billy will pull through for you! :notworthy:

(Either that or get a Yahoo (1 GB) or Gmail (1 GB) acct.) :rainbow:

I can’t believe anyone is still using Hotmail. :noway:

:fume: Hotmail has always been poo for me in Taiwan. Don’t know why but for 18 months it has run slow, clapped out and generally been…well …er…poo. I had enough and rarely use it now.

Although I still think their messenger is the most convenient. :bravo:

I have a gmail account which is rwh.midway@gmail.com That is one gigabyte storage, but incoming messages in Chinese Big-5 often get garbled. (I say “often”, because occasionally a Chinese Big-5 message will come through OK.) The same goes for outgoing messages in Chinese.

Contrastingly, my hotmail account handles English and Chinese text just fine.

However, I also seem to be stuck at 2 MB storage on hotmail. How can I get upgraded to 250 MB?

(I notice that hotmail is offering an upgrade to two gigabytes for NT$ 690 a year, which is not at all unreasonable I suppose … )

richard

send hotmail an email (there’s a link at the bottom of the page). i did after most of my buddies had been upped, and within 2 weeks, i got upped as well. don’t buy extra/premium/special/platinum anything. methinks that the more people who buy, the sooner email will become something to pay for … i know there’s a lot of free ones out there, but what company likes to give anything away for free?

hotmail only did the upgrade after yahoo bumped their’s up … no doubt lotsa swearing and teeth-gnashing at HQ.

Hotmail is slowly rolling out the upgrades of the free accounts to 250mb of storage. My account was upgraded just last week and my wife’s account is yet to be upgraded. If you are patient, you shouldn’t have to pay for anything. That said, the cost is fairly minimal for the premium account.

For your gmail problems, the problem is probably because the mails are coming in with incorrect headers. Take a look at this posting for more information about encoding issues: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 764#241764](Chinese character display question

There’s not really a good solution to this problem with gmail because it converts everything to utf-8 encoding internally and there are no visible controls to change this. Your only option is to tell the sender that their mail program is broken, a message that is not likely to help much.

(To check whether the Content-Type header is set in gmail, when viewing the message click on “More Options” and then “Show Original”.)

I changed to Yahoo in 1998. Never looked back.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I cannot open up one of my hotmail accounts because each time I try, it crashes. My other accounts work perfectly fine, but the one I actually need right now keeps crashing. Any ideas why just this one account is having trouble and not any of my other ones?[/quote]I’m having a similar problem. Every time I try to log in, it hangs on me. Then I press refresh, and I get “please re-enter your password”. Can’t get out of this loop.

[quote=“Hartzell”]I have a gmail account which is rwh.midway@gmail.com That is one gigabyte storage, but incoming messages in Chinese Big-5 often get garbled. (I say “often”, because occasionally a Chinese Big-5 message will come through OK.) The same goes for outgoing messages in Chinese. Contrastingly, my hotmail account handles English and Chinese text just fine.

However, I also seem to be stuck at 2 MB storage on hotmail. How can I get upgraded to 250 MB?

(I notice that hotmail is offering an upgrade to two gigabytes for NT$ 690 a year, which is not at all unreasonable I suppose … )[/quote]
A friend of mine in the USA who is fairly conversant with internet issues says that MICROSOFT is not updating the Hotmail accounts of those persons whose IP addresses are outside of the USA !!!

Does anyone have any sort of confirmation of this?? I have been WAITING for my Hotmail account to be updated for many months, and nothing has happened. I have sent the Hotmail Staff six or eight inquiries … all to no avail …

Comments? Does anyone have the inside story on this for those of us who live in Taiwan. (Note: Taiwan does not have formal diplomatic relations with the United States, however Bill Gates does visit the island from time to time. )

my hotmail upped some weeks ago to 250mb, in Taiwan from an Oz registration - no problems :sunglasses:

So … can anyone provide a tip for how to get my account upgraded to 250 MB?

try changing your profile to US residency maybe?