Where's the best Malaysian or Singaporean food?

Is that the Far Eastern Department Store?

All those numbers in Xinyi’s department store land confuse the heck of out me. : (

Guy

Shin Kong Mitsukoshi 新光三越 Xīnguāng sānyuè.

A13 also has the new movie theater and the new Hooters.

Damn another one.

Thank you for the clarification.

Guy

Huh. I’ve been in that building twice, both times only for the Lego store. You’d think I’d have noticed at least one of those establishments. I was however annoyed by a lack of signage at the escalators, with nothing telling me what else was on the different floors of the building.

What a time to open a new movie theater.

It should be Far Eastern, unless it connects to Mitsukoshi underground or something. The official Lego shop is in A13 3F (SKM has Lego in its directory, but it’s really a Funbox in A8 4F, not at all confusing).

Chope Chope recently opened in A4 4F, from the team behind JL Studio in Taichung. Fancified Singaporean dishes, sized for sharing. Sit at a table; the bar seats are kinda awful.

Whoah now I am really confused.

Please forumosans help me out! : (

Guy

I’m inside the place right now and I can’t yet figure it out.

I see I’m not alone in being confused! : P

Guy

Looks like FED borrowed the naming convention from Mitsukoshi with the A13.

1 Like

Thank you. So my query was not off-base and @manganate was right. Far Eastern it is!

Guy

I’m guessing that’s the most bizarre sentence I’m going to read this week.

I stopped by to have a look and have some lunch earlier in the week. The best I can say is that this food court has nice tiles and chairs. :rofl:

I do like the strong “sock” style coffee from Toast Box though. That’s perhaps the only thing I would return for here.

I’ll have more to say soon.

Guy

Any forumosans familiar with the now-closed Mooka Cafe (慕咖-馬來西亞餐廳), formerly on Siwei Road in Taipei City? It’s not a place that I visited, and it doesn’t appear to be discussed anywhere on forumosa either.

Well, the friendly Malaysian owner of that shop has resurfaced with a new shop in the old space that used to house Amma’s Kitchen (which, as I’ve posted elsewhere, has now moved to a new location just off Heping East Road). Her new venture is simply called Malaysia Kitchen in Taiwan (大馬廚房餐廳在台北市), located steps away from Taipower Building MRT Station Exit 4 on the Green Line. More details from their fbook page: Telephone: 02-2367-3518; Address: 2nd Floor, No. 100, Section 3, Roosevelt Road, Taipei City.

Forumosans familiar with the old Amma’s Kitchen will know that this semi-obscure second-floor location is cozy and tucked away from the frenetic action down on Roosevelt Road. Malaysia Kitchen keeps the cozy vibe and adds a bright no-nonsense approach: pay at the till, get the food, and then chow down. It’s currently in a “soft opening” with only part of the menu available. So far I’ve tried the nasi lemak paired with delectable beef rendang (NT$180), and a tasty chicken satay set (NT$150), which pairs nicely with a side of coconut rice (NT$30). They have some sweets too, like a modest pandan pudding to cool things off at the end of your meal. Yet to come are laksa and other dishes like chicken curry. I can’t wait to try them when they are available, likely later in August.

Based on the dishes I’ve tried so far, I can say that this place is vastly better than the other Malaysian joints in the university district. Recommended!

Guy

3 Likes

I didn’t know that, that sounds appealing

Yeah? I’m there

Promising post from Tricky Taipei: Indonesian restaurants recommended by an Indonesian journalist working in Taipei. Not quite Malay or Singapore food, but pretty darn close. A nice list of places I now want to try; I don’t think I’ve been to any of them.

The restaurants listed:

• Royal Indonesian Food
  • Indo Arema (@tempogain, their beef rending is particularly recommended).
  • Batavia
  • Kendedes
  • Pojok Yoyo
4 Likes

Saw that. I most want to try Sate House I think.

One of the Malaysian restaurants in new A13 B2 foot court already closed and changed to Chinese.

Taiwanese really don’t care for Malaysian and Singaporean food do they.

1 Like

I recall one in the mall upstairs Taipei Main Station, but I forgot the name. Their nasi lemak was solid and the kopi/teh too :yum: The fact that few Taiwanese go there is a plus for authenticity, because I know how much they dislike coconut and sambal :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t know of any decent Singaporean food, because usually the Singapore/Malaysia restaurants are managed by Malaysians so the flavours are more towards the latter (i.e. black soup for BKT, black hokkien mee, Malaysian kind of laksa :rofl: I can’t describe it but Singaporeans know what I mean :laughing: :laughing:). Luckily Carrefour sells the Prime Taste laksa instant noodles. Used to be 110 something NTD, I think.