"which" and "that"

I managed to go my my whole life until now without becoming aware of it, but some American grammarians seem to have the opinion that it is improper to use “which” in a restrictive adjective clause.

That’s to say, “The car which hit me was green.” would be wrong and should properly be “The car that hit me was green”.

It seems British English may not accept this, to me anyway, odd injunction. I can see it as a stylistic preference, but I was just wondering what other people thought about the correctness of it.

• “which” and “that” are interchangeable here
  • “which” and “that” are different
  • what

0 voters

I think both makes sense colloquially, but I believe “which” needs a comma before.

The car, which hit me, is green.

2 Likes

That’s something different, a non-restrictive clause. In that case you definitely have to use which.

I’m now also uncertain lol

Maybe that is correct. But which makes sense and I wouldn’t think much of it if someone uses it in this situation.

To my ear “the car which hit me” is non correctomento :smile:

May I vote?

Absolutely!

Maybe your counts as half a vote? :sunglasses:

I’d tend to agree with those grammarnazis but which does the job too, maybe it’s less correct but it’s not confusing enough in most cases. Also who cares about my opinion anyway…

3 Likes

They are different. Moreover, there should be a comma before “which,” but not before “that.”

Dogs that have long hair tend to shed. (some dogs)
Dogs, which are carnivores, eat meat. (all dogs)

3 Likes

I’d say it ‘Dogs, who are carnivores, eat meat.’

1 Like

:point_up_2: correctomundo

No, you cannot say the car what hit me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The car… What hit me?

2 Likes