Which compact van?

I am looking to buy a second car/van and any advice would be most gratefully received. The choices are: Ford PRZ, Suzuki Every or Mitsubishi Veryca/Magic. It will be used mainly for driving from Taichung to the end of freeway 3 about three times a month. 2 people and three dogs(Great Danes). I’m leaning toward the Magic cos it has a 1.6 engine. The Suzuki is a 1.3 and the Ford is a 1.0cc. Are these too small for comfortable cruising? There seem to be slightly more of the Ford and the Mitsubishi around than the Suzuki…any reason. Help me choose. My wife wants the Ford cos she can turn it into one of those cute VW T1 lookalike things…Please tell me the others are better!!

You already know what to do. I think you have an idea already which is better suited out of those three. The only thing I will say is although I appreciate you need a big space, that vans in general are poor quality for money here in Taiwan.
Used vans are snapped up quite readily as there is a large demand from new small businesses. They purchase them because it keeps their setting up costs to a minimum, thus supporting some ridiculous prices for many vans considering their state. It is hard to find a good one on a budget. Work vans are usually screwed by employees and crashed, or incident repaired.

Because of this problem I would make only one suggestion. That is to at least consider a passenger van before a stripped out work van. VW T4 for example of Mitsubishi Space Gear. These types of vans with seats are often (but certainly not always) less abused than vans without and so are easier to find good examples of. They are also kept cleaner and more respectable. It’s the direction I would go if I were you. You can always strip the seats out if need be. Prices can be similar to work vans, so you can get more for your money.

It’s also worth knowing that the vans with seats often have more supple suspension as they are designed and built to take passengers. The vans without seats can often have stiffer rear suspention to cope better with heavier loads, and so can have a notchy or more jittery ride if lightly loaded with only few people and dogs.

Thanks Sulavaca
Was hoping you would chip in as your advice to others in the past has been good (about cars at least :slight_smile: ) It would seem that the Magic is the way to go, thought about other options but Space Gear, Serena are too…em…non interesting and i already have enough of driving T4’s, although I have never driven the smaller Caravelle…any good?

[quote=“Jonny Crisp”]Thanks Sulavaca
Was hoping you would chip in as your advice to others in the past has been good (about cars at least :slight_smile: ) It would seem that the Magic is the way to go, thought about other options but Space Gear, Serena are too…em…non interesting and i already have enough of driving T4’s, although I have never driven the smaller Caravelle…any good?[/quote]

Vans are a bit of a difficult thing to rave about, as of course, they are what they are, which are boxes suited for piling stuff in the back. I have to say though that there is something inherently fun about vans, even though they pitch and roll everywhere and don’t always shoot where you aim, but there is some sort of butch or rough and ready feeling to driving a van where one can make believe he is Action Man or something, and if I am to rate vans then on which provides that the most for me, I would choose the T4 :http://ocar.com.tw/index/cardetail/id/26597
being a reliable, predictable van with a good level of comfort. There is no official Caravelle model in Taiwan, but a short and long wheelbase van, coming with either one side sliding or two side sliding doors. It is common to find used T4s that have been adapted from their original form to have more or fewer seats, beds, heightened roof line and other mods.

The Caravelle model I believe was not officially imported to Taiwan. ocar.com.tw/index/cardetail/id/26322
The Taiwan models of T4 seem to be closer to the foreign Kombi class, with quick release rear seats.

Watch out for:
Clutch.
Head Gasket.
tired suspension
Seat belt reels and buckles.
Door locks.

Don’t do it! ocar.com.tw/index/cardetail/id/13619 Haha!

Damn I would like a good old VW westfalia again. Those were good old times. Except for the constant breaking down, of course.

I know you are giving me good advice viz a viz the T4, but already have owned them as school buses…great vehicles but too big for my wife - dearie me, the damage she could inflict with a T4 javascript:emoticon(’:eek:’) …The little T1 look alike is a subaru estratto conversion…my wife loves them, I must be honest and say there is a certain…er…em…kawaii factor, but not for long freeway trips. It seems like the Mitsubishi magic/veryca is the one she feels most comfortable with…now just got to find a 2006/07 for sale. Thanks again, agree 100% with the advice, just not Ke aii enough for my honey!!

Subaru Replicas

I’m thinking of buying 2nd hand Veryca (8 seaters). And I’m still new in this field, don’t know much about the do’s and don’ts in terms of buying secondhand car.
Any reliable & reputable car dealer? Where can I find individual/private car owner?
Any idea, tips or suggestions for Veryca car.
Is this a durable car? I guess yes, co’z they are using this for businesses but what’s your opinion or experiences for this car?
Anyone got Veryca Van? Your experiences that you can share?

Hope to hear from you guys.
Thank you!

Search first…

This is true in the UK also, though maybe to a slightly lesser degree.

Since many light commercials there are based on estate car/hatchback bodies, if one wants a van it can be worthwhile getting a car, removing the rear seats, and panelling the rear window spaces.

Easier to source a less knackered vehicle that way. Estate cars are pretty rare here though and may not have the height you need.