Which electric vehicle (scooter) subsidies can I qualify for without an old scooter?

So, I know there are various subsidies available to both nationals and APRC card holders for purchasing an electric scooter (Gogoro etc.), but it’s not clear to me whether you have to be trading in an old vehicle to qualify for them.

• 經濟部工業局補助 $7000 (subsidy from Industrial Bureau of Ministry of Economic Affairs)
  • 新北市汰購二行程環保局補助 $18000 (subsidy from New Taipei City Environmental Protection Bureau, with this amount varying depending on where the purchaser lives I presume)

Gogoro’s website lists a bunch of conditions (copied below in Chinese), especially about trade-ins, but it’s not clear to me whether or not having an old vehicle is a requirement for all of the subsidies, or you can still qualify for some part of it even without already possessing an older vehicle. Can someone give me the short version of what I can qualify without having a vehicle already?

• 工業局補助期間內一人僅限補助一台
  • 工業局補助限中華民國國民、持有中華民國永久居留證之外籍人士
  • 一人僅限申請一次環保局補助
  • 須年滿十八歲
  • 汰舊車車輛於112年報廢回收
  • 環保局汰購補助 - 發票開立日須在補助年度(112年)內
  • 環保局汰購補助 - 發票開立廠商需設籍新北市境內
  • 環保局汰購補助 - 新購車車主戶籍設籍於新北市滿1年(含)以上
  • 環保局汰購補助 - 汰舊車車輛須設籍在新北市
  • 環保局汰購補助 - 汰舊車車輛須於96年6月30日(含)前出廠且為二行程
  • 環保署舊車純淘汰2000元補助 - 汰舊車輛須於96年6月30日(含)前出廠
  • 環保署廢機動車輛回收獎勵金300元 - 汰舊車輛須出廠滿十年以上(報廢或回收日期往前推算)
  • 環保署溫室氣體減量效益獎勵金1000元 - 汰舊車輛須出廠滿十年以上(報廢或回收日期往前推算)
  • 環保署空污減量效益獎勵金1000元 - 汰舊車輛須出廠滿十年以上(報廢或回收日期往前推算)
  • 環保署溫室氣體減量效益收購價金每輛機車二.三公噸收購單價至少新臺幣一千元以上,及空污減量效益收購價金每輛機車至少新臺幣一千元以上,您可自行申請或委由Gogoro代為申請,最終以環保署媒合平台之實際核撥金額而定

the 2 subsidies amounts that you mentioned, are if you have an old scooter to trade in. The most you can get up to is 23300, 26300 and ,29300 with both subsidies combined.
Im not sure about Taipei subsidies, but Taichung has a 10000nt gov subsidy for purchasing a Gogoro with out having a trade in.
if you have time just drop by a Gogoro shop and ask. They can answer most any question, plus they are getting considerable subsidies from the Gov for selling scooters so most of the workers are pretty bent on getting good sales records

2 Likes

To answer my own question, apparently there are in fact substantial subsidies we are eligible for even without having an older vehicle to recycle. Was told by a Gogoro rep yesterday that there are two I qualify for: $7,000 from Industrial Bureau of Ministry of Economic Affairs (which apparently does NOT require recycling an older vehicle); and $4000 from the New Taipei Environmental Protection Bureau (which would be up to $18,000 if I were recycling an old vehicle).

Note that an ARC is sufficient to qualify, provided that it was issued more than a year ago. (I didn’t ask whether this means the date of the original ARC or the latest renewed version, since I have an APRC so the date of issue doesn’t apply.)

3 Likes

Huh, cool. I didn’t even know this was an option. I’ve got a 20+ year old scooter that I want to get rid of, and I’ve been assuming I wouldn’t replace it (I very rarely drive anymore), but perhaps I’ll look into the Gogoro prices.

For others in other cities, generally each city’s EPA and gov agencies have slightly different subsidies amounts.
Gogoro ads however generally only mention the combined amounts. to get an detailed quote you would need to ask a sales agent.
For example, here in Taichung the ads list 23,300-29,300nt for if you have an old scooter to trade in. However this amount is a combined amount from 2 government office (avg A:7000/B:16000-23000). The distribution of the funds come at 2 different times ranging from 3-6 months depending on each Gov offices processing times.
If you don’t have an old scooter you can get a 10000(total) subsidy, again this is from the same 2 Gov agencies and take the same amount of time to disperse the funds.
Other cities may have slightly different subsidy amounts depending on the local Gov.
in short whether you pay upfront of apply fro their interest free loan, you will pay/apply for the full amount for which model you choose to buy, and any subsidy you qualify for will be wired to you account at a later date.

1 Like

to be frank, gogoro prices are quite expensive, a basic 50cc variant with out extras like keyless card and others costs about 50K,
the 125+ variants cost from 70-120k before subsidies

1 Like